Script to delete local profiles?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
anyone know if there is an easy way to delete local profiles? we have about 150 machines and 800+ users, i dont feel like sitting there at each one, opening up c.... docs/settings etc on each. is there an easier way?

Itchy and Scratchy #1325,Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone; strikes the same rib twice but clearly 2 different notes sound. are we to believe that this is some sort of magic xylophone?

riser

Illustrious
Are you talking about the "Local Profile" directory or the user's local profile?
If they're using Roaming Profiles and they're stored on a netework location, just delete all of those and when they log in, they'll have a blank profile.
If they log in and a script runs, it can delete all profiles except for theirs since they'll be using it. You would have to log in as an administrator to blow the profiles away.

Off hand, I don't know of a good script to do this for you as my company has turned to using Kixtart for a lot of our scripting needs.

Search google and see what you might be able to find..?

Riser

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
yeah, i was talking about local profiles. when i started there, they had TONS of problems. they had 10mbp hubs running 300+ win 95/98 machines with roaming profiles. i put 100 mbp switches in, upgraded them to 2k on new machines, built them a new 2k server and got rid of the roaming profiles. do you think its worth revisiting the roaming profile issue? i was under the impression they killed your network bandwidth. it would be much easier to track the websites etc the students went to if i had their history folder handy though. what do you think?

Itchy and Scratchy #1325,Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone; strikes the same rib twice but clearly 2 different notes sound. are we to believe that this is some sort of magic xylophone?

riser

Illustrious
You can create a policy in Windows 2k that limits a user's profile. We set ours to 15MB. The only time they're touching bandwidth is at login and logoff. They're not bad and they're only worthwhile if your users switch between machines on a regular basis.

and.. here is your almighty answer:

http://lists.isb.sdnpk.org/pipermail/comp-list/2002-August/001155.html

You can probably go out to microsoft to download the delprof tool.

Riser

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
wow, riser.... thanks for all your help these past few days. i think i might just go back to roaming profiles for the students. ive been trying to implement gp's without any luck. i started with a dummy acct, then applied gp for desktop settings and it didnt work. i still have some studying up to do on that. plus we still have ~40 machines running 98. thats a prob for gp's and ad, right?

riser

Illustrious
I haven't tried GPs on Windows 98 machines but I think they should work.
You might have to apply the GP to the computers and not the user logins. It can get tricky. We've appled GP to user logins and nothing happens, but when we put them on the computer they work fine. Odd. I haven't bothered to look into what we're doing wrong and I haven't cared too much to do so in fact. :)

Riser