sc1425 and fc3_64

Hi group,

Ive just bought a dell sc1425 (2.8 xeon, SATA drive) and excitedly went
through the installation process of putting in fc3.

Install went without a hitch (I had heard of scsi problems with fc3 and
this machine but we're sata so no worries there) and it went for its
reboot.

"Missing operating system"

wtf? If I go through the open manage software the options are for
windows server and various flavours of redhat enterprise. A phone call
to dell support was met with a blank "not supported" to any question
deviating from the above operating systems.

Help. Why cant i install fc3? Am i doing something wrong maybe?

Tam
16 answers Last reply
More about sc1425 fc3_64

    sure, was the first thing i though off.

    Boot order is set to

    1: IDE-CDROM device (which has nothing in it after the OS install, it
    boots correctly from there when fc3 cd1 is put in)
    2: Hard drive C:
    3: Embedded Gb NIC1 IBA GE Slot 0220 v1216

    1 and 2 have checks on them to denote they should be tried.

    Surely dell havent disabled the equipment in ths manner? I mean how? It
    doesnt appear to be a drive error. I could partition it up fine in disk
    druid during fc3 install.

    Tam

    I had to enable RAID in the bios for it to recognise the SATA drives.

    Problem solved.

    Note to others though. Ive now lost four hours of my life over this and
    can only ya boo hiss at Dell customer support.

    Flat refusal to help because it was neither windows server or RH
    Enterprise.

    I wont be recommending dell again any time soon.

    small correction... SATA 'drive'... theres only one. Why RAID has
    anything to do with that is quite beyond me... or why it came like that
    from the factory.

    <shrug> its working now, all that matters ;-)

    cos when i spend $2000 on a server i want it to work... and not get the
    run around from tech help.

    but thats just me... im quirky ;-P

    LOL...you waste more time watching bad movies on television. Why don't you
    just calm down and have some fun?

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Tam" <taminglis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I had to enable RAID in the bios for it to recognise the SATA drives.
    >
    > Problem solved.
    >
    > Note to others though. Ive now lost four hours of my life over this and
    > can only ya boo hiss at Dell customer support.
    >
    > Flat refusal to help because it was neither windows server or RH
    > Enterprise.
    >
    > I wont be recommending dell again any time soon.

    Is the SATA drive the only hard drive?
    Is the boot order set to boot from the HD?
    Is their a disk in the CD/DVD drive?

    I'd start with the boot order in the BIOS.

    Tom
    > Hi group,
    >
    > Ive just bought a dell sc1425 (2.8 xeon, SATA drive) and excitedly went
    > through the installation process of putting in fc3.
    >
    > Install went without a hitch (I had heard of scsi problems with fc3 and
    > this machine but we're sata so no worries there) and it went for its
    > reboot.
    >
    > "Missing operating system"
    >
    > wtf? If I go through the open manage software the options are for
    > windows server and various flavours of redhat enterprise. A phone call
    > to dell support was met with a blank "not supported" to any question
    > deviating from the above operating systems.
    >
    > Help. Why cant i install fc3? Am i doing something wrong maybe?
    >
    > Tam

    who are you? the dell police?

    I personally dont care what you think. I didnt ask dell to come around
    here and install it for me simply to answer a query as to why it
    wouldnt install an OS 'out of the box'

    Im not a fan of their open manage software either so I would have run
    into this problem no matter the OS I was installing because none would
    run in the state the BIOS was in.

    It always amazes me when ppl put in their 2p worth when its not wanted.

    > It always amazes me when ppl put in their 2p worth when its not wanted.

    Our Father, Who art in heaven
    Hallowed be Thy Name;
    Thy dell server has come,
    Thy OS will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this BIOS that works, our daily need,
    and forgive us our newsgroup posts,
    as we forgive those jobsworths who post against us;
    and lead us not into temptation to be huffy and do thy homework,
    and deliver us from evil.

    Amen.

    Ok dudes... strike a light.

    I shouldnt have made my Dell comment... if I wasnt happy then I dont
    use them again. But I honestly feel I was entitled to *some* help from
    them even if it was an OS they dont officially support. The machine
    wouldnt install an OS out of the box... period.

    What happened to the customer is always right?

    I asked for help with my problem not derision because I was unhappy
    with the support from Dell. But I do apologise... had i done my
    homework the problem would never have arisen so I have at least learned
    a lesson.

    Posting closed, over and out.

    Tam wrote:

    > who are you? the dell police?
    >
    > I personally dont care what you think. I didnt ask dell to come around
    > here and install it for me simply to answer a query as to why it
    > wouldnt install an OS 'out of the box'
    >
    > Im not a fan of their open manage software either so I would have run
    > into this problem no matter the OS I was installing because none would
    > run in the state the BIOS was in.
    >
    > It always amazes me when ppl put in their 2p worth when its not wanted.

    Huh?

    You posted to a public newsgroup.

    If you only wanted opinions, in your favor, you should have damn well
    gone somewhere else.

    Notan

    Tam wrote:

    > <snip>

    Again, this is a public forum.

    It's a great place to come to compliment Dell when they do something right
    (which happens quite often), to criticize Dell when they do something wrong
    (which happens quite often), and just to converse about Dell or whatever.

    Your comment to Tom, about "ppl put in their 2p," was totally inappropriate.

    Notan

    "Tam" <taminglis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I had to enable RAID in the bios for it to recognise the SATA drives.
    >
    > Problem solved.
    >
    > Note to others though. Ive now lost four hours of my life over this and
    > can only ya boo hiss at Dell customer support.
    >
    > Flat refusal to help because it was neither windows server or RH
    > Enterprise.
    >
    > I wont be recommending dell again any time soon.

    Why exactly would you expect Dell to offer support for an operating system
    they didn't sell you and don't certify? If you want Linux support on your
    Dell server, buy it with Redhat.

    It always amazes me when people make statements like this. It is
    unbelievably expensive to certify and support an operating system.
    Training, testing, documentation, etc., etc., etc.

    It's no different than wanting XP support on your machine you bought with
    Windows Me. Why should they? The cost of support for the certified
    operating systems is built into the cost of the machine.

    Dell is no different than any other vendor. Sounds to me like you didn't do
    your homework and purchase a machine you knew support the OS you wanted to
    run.

    Tom

    You lot wanna take a break from yourselves.

    I apologise for saying *runaround* and not *stonewalled* and hereby
    promises to bring a dictionary in future.

    Talk about pedantic (see, i have that dictionary).

    /me bears his bum and runs away

    It does not sound like you got the "run around" since they initially
    informed you "not supported".
    That itself is pretty direct and letting you plainly know up front you are
    on your own.
    It really sounds like you are attempting the "run around" by expecting
    support for a non supported OS.

    Since you apparently want to run outside what is supported, you should
    contact another source of support willing to support the OS and hardware you
    want.
    You also may want to consider returning the server as long as you are within
    the return period.

    What happened when you asked for support for the supported OS?
    That is where the truth lies.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    > cos when i spend $2000 on a server i want it to work... and not get the
    > run around from tech help.
    >
    > but thats just me... im quirky ;-P

    You asked Tom (and everyone else) for his "2p worth" when you chose to post
    to this public newsgroup.
    If you do not want to hear from a specific individual, you should post in a
    private forum which excludes those you do not want or privately Email those
    you want.

    --

    > who are you? the dell police?
    >
    > I personally dont care what you think. I didnt ask dell to come around
    > here and install it for me simply to answer a query as to why it
    > wouldnt install an OS 'out of the box'
    >
    > Im not a fan of their open manage software either so I would have run
    > into this problem no matter the OS I was installing because none would
    > run in the state the BIOS was in.
    >
    > It always amazes me when ppl put in their 2p worth when its not wanted.

    Then call it stonewalled.
    They told you plainly what and why.
    If that has a bearing as to why you will not buy from Dell again, also do
    not buy from any other OEM.
    The rules are similar with all the major OEMs.

    --

    > You lot wanna take a break from yourselves.
    >
    > I apologise for saying *runaround* and not *stonewalled* and hereby
    > promises to bring a dictionary in future.
    >
    > Talk about pedantic (see, i have that dictionary).
    >
    > /me bears his bum and runs away

Dell Computers