Tripnav 200

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.satellite.gps (More info?)

I am thinking of getting myself the TripNav 200 To go with my Wi-Fi card, I
was wondering if people here had use it and if they could share feedback
about it or if, along the price range (In canadian), hardware type someone
had something better to suggest?

It's gonna be use with Netstumbler, of course, but also and mainly for
travel around canada and the US of A.

Thanx! :)

here's a link to the tripnav200 :
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/rayming/tn200usb.htm

--
- Rev. EDgAr Hentai 1er
2 answers Last reply

    Rev. EDgAr Hentai 1er wrote:

    > I am thinking of getting myself the TripNav 200 To go with my Wi-Fi card, I
    > was wondering if people here had use it and if they could share feedback
    > about it or if, along the price range (In canadian), hardware type someone
    > had something better to suggest?
    >
    > It's gonna be use with Netstumbler, of course, but also and mainly for
    > travel around canada and the US of A.

    I've got a Tripnav 200.. I've had it since January. I picked it
    up at GPSCenteral.ca I've logged over 5000 miles with it through
    Canada and the US. I've always managed to know where I was :-)

    It's not a bad unit. It works. The great thing about it is that it's
    USB.. All you do is plug it in to your laptop. It's powered through
    the USB port. One wire, one plug.. That's it.

    I use mine with MS Streets and Trips 2004. (There's better software,
    but Streets and Trips does what I need).

    The only bad point is that the WAAS is a pain to enable. You have to
    do it through the supplied software... The process is a bit complicated.
    If you leave the unit unpowered for more than a day or so, it loses the
    setting and you have to do it over. This is no big deal to me, because
    I don't seem to need the extra resolution WAAS provides. Being in
    Canada, we don't get the full effect of WAAS anyway..

    If I were going to do it over, I'd probably go with the Garmin GPS 18
    USB module. This unit wasn't available last January when I bought the
    TN 200. It's about the same price, but it has the Garmin name.

    http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/18deluxe.htm

    (BTW, one thing I don't quite understand is how the GPS unit is going
    to "go with your Wi-Fi card" ? Are you going to run it across a
    network) ?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.satellite.gps (More info?)

    Hi!
    I think that cost a little much.
    Try this one from DeLorme
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=155928

    Ive used it and no problem at all, just dont leave it on the dashboard for
    too much sun. It affect the normal operating temp, what I do is cover it
    with a piece of paper to avoid too much heat and it works perfectly fine.

    Good Luck!

    "Rev. EDgAr Hentai 1er" <edgarhentai@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of getting myself the TripNav 200 To go with my Wi-Fi card,
    > was wondering if people here had use it and if they could share feedback
    > about it or if, along the price range (In canadian), hardware type someone
    > had something better to suggest?
    >
    > It's gonna be use with Netstumbler, of course, but also and mainly for
    > travel around canada and the US of A.
    >
    > Thanx! :)
    >
    > here's a link to the tripnav200 :
    > http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/rayming/tn200usb.htm