MOving "boot partition" for xp within os selector

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

My hard disk is partitioned as follows:

1 - 50g win me partition, which is working fine (c

2 - 30g win 98se partition (also fine - d

3 - 80g win xp home partition (NTFS) - was installed yesterday and is
the one I'm having problems with (e

4 - the remaining 30 gig is spare, and will be used for the swap
area...

When I installed the upgrade edition of xp home, it installed the "boot
part" in c: alongside win me, and the rest of the system on e: as
expected.

The boot partition being on c: is causing problems with my USB modem,
It just won't install properly (on boot up the leds on the front start
flashing, and then both go on permanently once it's connected properly
- it just doesn't connect, the modem is fne under XP and 98se, and has
been fine under XP with previous installations, so it must be because
of conflicts with C:

Does anyone know if I can move the boot partition to the same drive as
XP? I read somewhere that it has to be in the first 2 gigs of the HD
for 2000 - is this the same for xp?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> You can only install a single instance of Windows 98 or Windows ME in a
> multiple-boot configuration. You cannot configure a computer to multiple-boot
> Windows 98 or Windows ME because each of these platforms use the same boot file.
> For example, you can use Windows 98 and Windows XP, but you
> cannot use Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows XP.

OS selector does let you do this, it can hide partitions from each
other - (I think it's a good idea to do that so you don';t end up with
conflicts...)

This still leaves me scratching my head about moving the boot partition
(Some sites call this the system partition) for xp though... Does it
always HAVE to be in the first 2 gigs of the disk?

"Dan" wrote:
> OS selector does let you do this, it can hide partitions from each
> other - (I think it's a good idea to do that so you don';t end up with
> conflicts...)
>
> This still leaves me scratching my head about moving the boot
> partition (Some sites call this the system partition) for xp though...
> Does it always HAVE to be in the first 2 gigs of the disk?

No, it doesn't. I have a HD where the WinXP "system" and "boot"
partitions are the same partition and are beyond the 36-gig point.
The same HD has a "system" partition (the one with ntldr,
boot.ini, and ntdetect.com in it) in the 1st gig, and the "boot"
partitions (the ones with WinXP in them) are in the same
partition, at the 18-gig point, and at the 36-gig point. I can also
boot the 1st partition's OS using the boot files in the 3rd partition
(i.e. the one out at 36-gigs).

BTW, what's the name of your OS selector utility?

*TimDaniels*

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Dan" wrote:
> > OS selector does let you do this, it can hide partitions from each
> > other - (I think it's a good idea to do that so you don';t end up with
> > conflicts...)
> >
> > This still leaves me scratching my head about moving the boot
> > partition (Some sites call this the system partition) for xp though...
> > Does it always HAVE to be in the first 2 gigs of the disk?
>

> No, it doesn't. I have a HD where the WinXP "system" and "boot"
> partitions are the same partition and are beyond the 36-gig point.
> The same HD has a "system" partition (the one with ntldr,
> boot.ini, and ntdetect.com in it) in the 1st gig,

I think this maybe where confusion is setting in - the partition with
ntldr and boot.ini in is called the "boot part" under acronis os
selector... does that one need to be in the first 2 gigs?

> BTW, what's the name of your OS selector utility?

It's acronis OS Selector...

You can only install a single instance of Windows 98 or Windows ME in a
multiple-boot configuration. You cannot configure a computer to multiple-boot
Windows 98 or Windows ME because each of these platforms use the same boot file.
For example, you can use Windows 98 and Windows XP, but you
cannot use Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows XP.

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dan" wrote:
> Timothy Daniels wrote:
>> "Dan" wrote:
>> > OS selector does let you do this, it can hide partitions from each
>> > other - (I think it's a good idea to do that so you don';t end up with
>> > conflicts...)
>> >
>> > This still leaves me scratching my head about moving the boot
>> > partition (Some sites call this the system partition) for xp though...
>> > Does it always HAVE to be in the first 2 gigs of the disk?
>>

>> No, it doesn't. I have a HD where the WinXP "system" and "boot"
>> partitions are the same partition and are beyond the 36-gig point.
>> The same HD has a "system" partition (the one with ntldr,
>> boot.ini, and ntdetect.com in it) in the 1st gig,
>
> I think this maybe where confusion is setting in - the partition with
> ntldr and boot.ini in is called the "boot part" under acronis os
> selector...

Yeah, isn't Microsoft great? They use a counter-intuitive
terminology and bludgeon you with it in Disk Management
(and elsewhere, presumably), and it confuses people and
thereby discourages them from making multi-booted clones
and from using their old OSes.

> does that one need to be in the first 2 gigs?

In my direct and recent experience - No. (Re-read my
posting).

>> BTW, what's the name of your OS selector utility?
>
> It's acronis OS Selector...

Hmmm.... I can't find it on the www.Acronis.com website.
If "OS Selector" is legacy software, it may be for pre-NTFS
Windows systems.

*TimDaniels*

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> Yeah, isn't Microsoft great? They use a counter-intuitive
> terminology and bludgeon you with it in Disk Management
> (and elsewhere, presumably), and it confuses people and
> thereby discourages them from making multi-booted clones
> and from using their old OSes.

I'll never hear a bad word said against microsoft.. (smirks)

> > does that one need to be in the first 2 gigs?
>

> In my direct and recent experience - No. (Re-read my
> posting).

Ok - hopefullly I can get things sorted

> >> BTW, what's the name of your OS selector utility?
> >
> > It's acronis OS Selector...
>

> Hmmm.... I can't find it on the www.Acronis.com website.
> If "OS Selector" is legacy software, it may be for pre-NTFS
> Windows systems.

it is old software - but I've had it running xp and me before, and
almost had it up and running last weekend, before I made a mountain out
of a molehill and ended up losing everything... (i'd had a few problems
with my ME install, and ended up trying to reinstall it on another
partition, and guess what - it went and reformated the whole 200 gig
drive!)

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

well - I tried a new USB modem driver and that worked, but now AOL
won't recognise the modem - it definitely connects ok, theres an option
to test it by connecting to one page on the BT site...

Think I'll leave it until after the weekend!