Radeon8500+DDR333=Happy Now

G

After much complaining and researching (not necessarily in that order...) instead of taking the 8500 back I ripped out my motherboard and plopped in a new Asus A7N266-E with nForce 420-D Chipset and a stick of Corsair DDR333. Man they sure make intense looking sticks of RAM... anyway, I got the DDR333 for 2 main reasons. First, I figure if I do it this way I will KNOW FOR CERTAIN that the memory itself can NOT be the main cause of bottleneck. And also, if I decided to eventually get some kind of KT333MB I'll already have a stick to throw into it. Anyway, i'm now running my good old 1.3Ghz Athlon at 1442Mhz. I may increase another notch but i'm going to run it like this for at least 2 weeks and see what games blow up because of it. The final result = i'm now satisfied with the Radeon 8500 considering its extremely low cost. I just ran a favorite game of mine, Rally Trophy, with everything maxed in the game. 1280x1024x32. The Radeon has 2xFSAA Turned ON, at Quality not Performance, and Anisotrophic Turned ON as well... and... ; ))) Very nice. Runs real nice and looks just amazing. I tried this before I swapped MB's and I think I was getting about 1.2 FPS, MAYBE... Worse than a slide show. That is over now. The only thing I couldn't turn on was Cubic Reflections. This caused a bit of jerkiness in places which is hard to deal with at 110Mph in a forest on a road 10feet wide. So, with a decent system and a very cost-effective video board I think this will do just fine for at least a year or so. This will make my Wife happy i'm sure. She says the PC seems to be a never ending tunnel of money. But since I 'make' money with it and provide a nice place I don't get bitched at *to* much about it ; )

The only trouble I had, which was a huge pain in the balls (just really tedious) was having to reinstall Windows 2KPro. After I installed the board and fired it up I got a BSOD saying it couldn't find the boot device. Sort of strange since it was booting from the boot device to get that far anyway. In debug mode it always reached the same spot, almost finishing its initial ASCII graphic bar at the bottom then boom, blue screen of death. After a few minutes of messing with it and figuring I could use a clean partition anyway I just blew it away and reinstalled. So now I'll blow away my PQDI of the old image and make one of this one. I know it's not related to Video but I heartily suggest using Power Quest Drive Image to anyone that tends to 'break' or otherwise screw up their OS on occasion. It is nice having a bit-for-bit image of my boot partition from lastnight sitting in a file waiting to be installed at the drop of a hat if something catastrophic occurrs.

- I have come here to kick ass and chew gum, but I broke my foot and my teeth fell out ; (

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'm glad you finally got it working. :smile:

Obviously, you have to reinstall the operating system once you upgrade the motherboard. The motherboard is after all, the mother of the PC's hardware components.

I wouldn't rush out thinking about a KT333 motherboard just yet. VIA boards tend to be buggy. I'm amazed myself that you're getting smooth gameplay at 1280*1024*32 with 2X Quality SmoothVision. That's pretty high, even for a Radeon 8500. By the way, what do you have your FSB speed at?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Thanks. A blurb from my bios:

CPU Freq Mult. 12.5x
CPU/PCI 111/33 (taking to 133/33 makes my Athlon choke)
CPU Mem Freq Ratio 3:4
SDRAM CAS Latency 2.0T(TURBO)
Video Mem Cache Mode USWC

I need to research just wtf a USWC cache mode is because I have no idea. Do you? That's a new one on me.

As far as

[...Obviously, you have to reinstall the operating system once you upgrade the motherboard. The motherboard is after all, the mother of the PC's hardware components....]

I have to say not necessarily. I've gone through motherboard upgrades in the past like a goat through grass and 95% of the time good old Windows 98 was exceptional at 'Reading/Detecting' new motherboard resources and pumping right along upgrading itself to include popping in the MB CD now and then for those bizzare new resources it had no idea what to do with. As far as W2K this didn't surprise me for a couple reasons. It basically did the same thing when I 'suddenly' introduced my EPoX 8KTA3+ to it awhile back. The fact that it is next-gen NT has a lot to do with it i'm sure. NT is notoriously unfriendly about stuff like that. I'm sure there are a few lucky ones that have gotten NT to do things gracefully that most have fixed with a sledge hammer.

I look forward to new and improved performance drivers for the 8500. Considering most trends in post-launch driver development there is some excellent potential here no question.

- I have come here to kick ass and chew gum, but I broke my foot and my teeth fell out ; (

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
. VIA boards tend to be buggy

Buggy you say i hope for you AMD useur that SIS can get a others chipset for athlon

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie