bill

Archived from groups: alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie6.outlook,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on my desk top PC.
It has the XP operating system.

I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.

I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post replies or new
messages to Newsgroups. I get the following error message;

"Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'test', Account:
'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net',
Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
filter)', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number:
0x800CCCA9"

My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this problem in over
three weeks. They obviously are
not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was to change my
password!!!

I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no problem posting
to Newsgroups with the same
Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.

I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my Laptop to my desk
top but it will not copy over or
replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub directory of
Outlook.

I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I get a message
"This program is being used by another
program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot delete the current
Outlook Express so I can copy in
the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?

This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month. Can anyone
provide a potential solution?

Bill wrote:
> I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on
> my desk top PC. It has the XP operating system.
>
> I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.
>
> I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post
> replies or new messages to Newsgroups. I get the following
> error message;
>

> "Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject
> 'test', Account: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server:
> 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response:
> '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', Port: 119,
> Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9"
>
> My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this
> problem in over three weeks. They obviously are
> not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was
> to change my password!!!
>
> I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no
> problem posting to Newsgroups with the same
> Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.
>
> I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my
> Laptop to my desk top but it will not copy over or
> replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub
> directory of Outlook.
>
> I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I
> get a message "This program is being used by another
> program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot
> delete the current Outlook Express so I can copy in
> the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?
>
> This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month.
> Can anyone provide a potential solution?

You might want to take a look at this article which suggests
renaming outbox.dbx:

Outlook Express Could Not Post Your Message: 441 Posting Failed
http://tinyurl.com/2jeo

If that doesn't solve your problem, you can look at this
article:

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express in Windows XP

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Bill wrote:
> I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on
> my desk top PC. It has the XP operating system.
>
> I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.
>
> I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post
> replies or new messages to Newsgroups. I get the following
> error message;
>

> "Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject
> 'test', Account: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server:
> 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response:
> '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', Port: 119,
> Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9"
>
> My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this
> problem in over three weeks. They obviously are
> not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was
> to change my password!!!
>
> I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no
> problem posting to Newsgroups with the same
> Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.
>
> I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my
> Laptop to my desk top but it will not copy over or
> replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub
> directory of Outlook.
>
> I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I
> get a message "This program is being used by another
> program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot
> delete the current Outlook Express so I can copy in
> the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?
>
> This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month.
> Can anyone provide a potential solution?

You might also want to take a look at an earlier thread that is
similar to your problem:

http://tinyurl.com/dce6p

Scroll down to the post by MS-MVP Frank Saunders where he
suggests creating a new identity in OE.

Nepatsfan

Bud

"Bill" <wmech@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have recently developed a problem with Outlook Express on my desk top PC.
> It has the XP operating system.
>
> I can send and receive e-mails with no problem.
>
> I can READ Newsgroups with no problem but cannot post replies or new
> messages to Newsgroups. I get the following error message;
>

> "Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'test', Account:
> 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net (2)', Server: 'newsgroups.bellsouth.net',
> Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
> filter)', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number:
> 0x800CCCA9"
>
> My ISP is Bellsouth and they have been unable to solve this problem in
> over
> three weeks. They obviously are
> not very competent as one of their recommended solutions was to change my
> password!!!
>
> I have the same XP operating system on my Laptop and have no problem
> posting
> to Newsgroups with the same
> Outlook Express software, using my Laptop.
>
> I tried copying my Laptop Outlook Express program from my Laptop to my
> desk
> top but it will not copy over or
> replace the files on my Desktop. It merely sets up a sub directory of
> Outlook.
>
> I cannot delete Outlook Express from my Desktop because I get a message
> "This program is being used by another
> program and cannot be deleted." Is there any way I cannot delete the
> current
> Outlook Express so I can copy in
> the working Outlook Express from my Laptop?
>
> This problem has been driving me crazy for almost a month. Can anyone
> provide a potential solution?

could be a corrupted Outbox.dbx file
Search for and rename the Outbox.dbx file to Outbox.old and restart Outlook
Express. A new Outbox.dbx file will be created the next time Outlook Express
is started