Remove Internet Access

Is there an easy way to disable internet access on specific PC's. I have 10
PC's that are strictly for lab analitical processes and I don't want them
using the internet on these PC's
2 answers Last reply
More about remove internet access

    "Margo" <margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to disable internet access on specific PC's. I have
    > 10
    > PC's that are strictly for lab analitical processes and I don't want them
    > using the internet on these PC's

    If you don't use DHCP then you could try clearing the default gateway. If
    you use DHCP then you could still remove the batch file by writing a script
    to remove the gateway and getting the scheduler to run it at start-up. If
    you know the IP address of the gateway then:
    route delete 0.0.0.0 <gateway-ip>
    should delete the routing table entry for the gateway.

    I've not tried it, but I'm told that if you configure the pc to use a proxy
    server and point it to the localhost (127.0.0.1) that this will quite
    effectively block internet access.

    You may also find that there are settings on your company's firewall which
    would allow you to selectively block pcs.

    I'm sure there are other ways. Hope this helps,

    Brian.
    --
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Thanks Brian,
    I used the localhost address and it did the trick.

    "Brian Cryer" wrote:

    > "Margo" <margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there an easy way to disable internet access on specific PC's. I have
    > > 10
    > > PC's that are strictly for lab analitical processes and I don't want them
    > > using the internet on these PC's
    >
    > If you don't use DHCP then you could try clearing the default gateway. If
    > you use DHCP then you could still remove the batch file by writing a script
    > to remove the gateway and getting the scheduler to run it at start-up. If
    > you know the IP address of the gateway then:
    > route delete 0.0.0.0 <gateway-ip>
    > should delete the routing table entry for the gateway.
    >
    > I've not tried it, but I'm told that if you configure the pc to use a proxy
    > server and point it to the localhost (127.0.0.1) that this will quite
    > effectively block internet access.
    >
    > You may also find that there are settings on your company's firewall which
    > would allow you to selectively block pcs.
    >
    > I'm sure there are other ways. Hope this helps,
    >
    > Brian.
    > --
    > www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Internet Access Support Microsoft Windows XP