XP install from boot floppy does not read CD

Sunil

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I am trying to install XP Pro on older 98 computer which does not have
bootable CD. I created six floppies from MS site and run the program. After
reading all six disks install program says that it can't read CD check if
SCSI is terminated. CD is IDE and it works well in 98. I can even run XP
install from 98 but I want to do clean install with new NTFS partitions etc.
Any help?
Thanks

"Sunil" <sp@domain.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to install XP Pro on older 98 computer which does not have
> bootable CD. I created six floppies from MS site and run the program.
After
> reading all six disks install program says that it can't read CD check if
> SCSI is terminated. CD is IDE and it works well in 98. I can even run XP
> install from 98 but I want to do clean install with new NTFS partitions
etc.
> Any help?
> Thanks

Yes, just get a bootable Win9x floppy with CD drivers, boot, then change to
the CD drive, to the \i386 directory, and run winnt.exe.

Winnt.exe is the actual installer.

You may find however that if the machine is old enough to not support
bootable CDs, it lacks enough memory and speed to effectively run XP.

HTH
-pk