Best Notebook Graphics?

MoneyMike

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
I know this problem has been adressed many times already...but im still not clear. Best notebook graphics card is...??? What are the 3 best right now and which is best?

Thanks,
Mike

Everything Changes...Everything stays the same

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'm surprised nVidia doesn't care about their notebook graphics market as their desktop graphics market. They're losing money by making slow chips for notebooks. Yes, not horribly so, but the simple fact that ATI is beating them in performance will evenutally hurt them, at least in the notebook market.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Funny thing is, these systems are usually sold to busines men, not gamers or even designers. Businessmen don't give to hoots about video performance, at most they only require a VGA port for the projector!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yeah, you're right actually, that would explain why Notebook performance is always 6 months to 1 year behind desktop PC performance.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All a business user wants is reliability, power (IE can run several piddly-assed programs at once) and service. Most of them only buy or lease new in order to get more service, and could get away with two year old laptops, if they were still being made today.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Is there any difference between the ATI Mobility Fire GL 7800 and the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500? (besides the name and the price of course)

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Since this thread has been revived, I'll add that I've been using the Radeon Mobility 8500 64mb for a couple months now and it is absolutely fantastic! But keep in mind that no matter how good the video card is, it only looks as good as the screen it's sending the image to. I returned a $2,500 Dell with the same video card (8500M) because the screen was terrible. Much worse than my old laptop was. The system I settled on is a Sager with P4 1.8ghz, 512mb DDR ram, Radeon 8500M 64mb, blah blah blah 15" TFT LCD. The performance is better than 90% of the desktops I use! 3D is incredible, as is color and sharpness. I get suprisingly good framerates in 3D games at 1024x768x32. So I think it's safe to say this is the best notebook card. :)

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
There's a bloody huge difference man, The FireGL is a profession 3d Studio design card. The Radeon 7x00 and 8x00's are comsumer gaming cards. If you want to game, do not buy the fireGL and vice versa.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/16/02 11:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Latest posts