Has NVIDIA Canned the Ti4200 GPU?

G

I have been holding out from purchasing a GForce3 Ti graphics card with news floating around of the NVIDIA GForce4 Ti4200 shipping at similar prices to the current GF3 Ti200.
The only problem is that I can only see releases of the more expensive Ti4400 and Ti4600 GPU's and NVIDIA don't have any mention of the Ti4200 on their web site.

I suppose I will purchase the older GF3 Ti200 as I'm desperate for a video card upgrade!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The TI4200 will be out in a month or two. They are letting the GF3s phase out of the market so they aren't destroying the price on their current stock of video cards.

The TI4200 might be clocked low enough to be close (still better) to the GF3 TI500 in performance, however, it will gain some benifits from the new architecture, especialy in AA.

Personaly, I'm more and more excited about the 8500 and the upcoming drivers. It's performance could rival the ti4200, and the price will be much lower.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

G

I'd be happy to wait another 4 to 8 weeks if that's the case but for NVIDIA not to have a single mention of the Ti4200 anywhere on their website is a little concerning.

Can anyone confirm that the Ti4200 is not just a rumour?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Nvidia has released too much info about their being a Ti4200 for there not to be. They just haven't told the public.

With their roadmap of phasing out the GF3, it requires them to sell out of them first. Untill then, the GF3 and the GF4 MX are fighting with eachother, and adding the TI4200 to the mix won't help matters for Nvidia.

Tom said that the 8500 could have been the factor forcing Nvidia to release the ti4200, due to it's price point. Nvidia might also be waiting to see what ATI does before releasing it's new card.

Nvidia will release it's TI4200, as it will be forced to fill in the midrange high end market between it's MX440 and TI4400 (about $130 gap in MSRP), and they can't afford to lose that marketshare to ATI, let alone simply handing it to them by failing to address that market.

The only other thing I can see happening about the 4200, is that Nvidia might have decided to not ditch the GF3, and therefore doesn't see the need to release the TI4200.

Whatever Nvidia is doing, you will hear about it form several of the tech sites, so just keep on watching.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I recall reading rumors about a month ago indicating that the Ti4200 was going to be held off because it did not fit the initial Geforce4 pricing schedule. It would be too close in price to the MX460 (and who would buy an MX460 if the Ti4200 was available for about the same price). The rumors (granted old) left it up in the air as to whether the Ti4200 would be released at all. I think it depends on current market conditions at the time. (Read that as, it depends on what ATI is doing at the time). Right now, the ATI Radeon 8500 is already available below $200 USD ($150 street). At $200 the Ti4200 might find itself in a tough market. Still, there are plenty of loyal nVidia customers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ti4200 shows up as an OEM only product intended for bundled systems.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/13/02 03:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>