I need help with my desktop!

I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I did it
while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to diable the
sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When I rebooted my
computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a background picture but
I can't right click on it. Nor do I have visible start menu/bar. I have to
use the task manager to get around the computer and get work down. Does
anyone know what happened? Can some one help me with this? Thank you!!
3 answers Last reply
More about desktop

    "Sunixx" <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I did it
    > while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to diable the
    > sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When I rebooted my
    > computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a background picture
    > but
    > I can't right click on it. Nor do I have visible start menu/bar. I have
    > use the task manager to get around the computer and get work down. Does
    > anyone know what happened? Can some one help me with this? Thank you!!

    Two options:

    1. System Restore (choose a point prior to the date this occurred).
    2. Repair Installation.

    Dump AVG...it's not really worth the effort to install it.

    Bobby

    In news:1311F7FA-DFEA-407A-B466-DEA15049EB91@microsoft.com,
    Sunixx <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I
    > did it while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to
    > diable the sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When
    > I rebooted my computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a
    > background picture but I can't right click on it. Nor do I have
    > visible start menu/bar. I have to use the task manager to get around
    > the computer and get work down. Does anyone know what happened? Can
    > some one help me with this? Thank you!!

    Press CTRL + ALT + DEL > click File > New Ta

    Sherlock Holmes

    In news:1311F7FA-DFEA-407A-B466-DEA15049EB91@microsoft.com,
    Sunixx <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I
    > did it while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to
    > diable the sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When
    > I rebooted my computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a
    > background picture but I can't right click on it. Nor do I have
    > visible start menu/bar. I have to use the task manager to get around
    > the computer and get work down. Does anyone know what happened? Can
    > some one help me with this? Thank you!!

    Hmmm...

    I'm not sure how the other one sent on it's own... CTRL + ALT + DEL > File >
    New Task > type "explorer.exe" and hit enter... Does that bring up your
    desktop? If so then reboot right from there - and that's often the trick. If
    not then see here:

    Corrupted Profile: Windows XP :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/corruptprofile.html

    Galen