I need help with my desktop!

September 9, 2005 6:27:03 PM

I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I did it
while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to diable the
sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When I rebooted my
computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a background picture but
I can't right click on it. Nor do I have visible start menu/bar. I have to
use the task manager to get around the computer and get work down. Does
anyone know what happened? Can some one help me with this? Thank you!!

More about : desktop

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 6:27:04 PM

"Sunixx" <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I did it
> while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to diable the
> sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When I rebooted my
> computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a background picture
> but
> I can't right click on it. Nor do I have visible start menu/bar. I have
> use the task manager to get around the computer and get work down. Does
> anyone know what happened? Can some one help me with this? Thank you!!

Two options:

1. System Restore (choose a point prior to the date this occurred).
2. Repair Installation.

Dump AVG...it's not really worth the effort to install it.

Bobby
September 10, 2005 4:23:47 AM

In news:1311F7FA-DFEA-407A-B466-DEA15049EB91@microsoft.com,
Sunixx <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I
> did it while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to
> diable the sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When
> I rebooted my computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a
> background picture but I can't right click on it. Nor do I have
> visible start menu/bar. I have to use the task manager to get around
> the computer and get work down. Does anyone know what happened? Can
> some one help me with this? Thank you!!

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL > click File > New Ta

Sherlock Holmes
September 10, 2005 4:26:09 AM

In news:1311F7FA-DFEA-407A-B466-DEA15049EB91@microsoft.com,
Sunixx <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I
> did it while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to
> diable the sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When
> I rebooted my computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a
> background picture but I can't right click on it. Nor do I have
> visible start menu/bar. I have to use the task manager to get around
> the computer and get work down. Does anyone know what happened? Can
> some one help me with this? Thank you!!

Hmmm...

I'm not sure how the other one sent on it's own... CTRL + ALT + DEL > File >
New Task > type "explorer.exe" and hit enter... Does that bring up your
desktop? If so then reboot right from there - and that's often the trick. If
not then see here:

Corrupted Profile: Windows XP :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/corruptprofile.htm...

Galen