I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I did it
while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to diable the
sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When I rebooted my
computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a background picture but
I can't right click on it. Nor do I have visible start menu/bar. I have to
use the task manager to get around the computer and get work down. Does
anyone know what happened? Can some one help me with this? Thank you!!

"Sunixx" <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I did it
> while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to diable the
> sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When I rebooted my
> computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a background picture
> but
> I can't right click on it. Nor do I have visible start menu/bar. I have
> use the task manager to get around the computer and get work down. Does
> anyone know what happened? Can some one help me with this? Thank you!!

Two options:

1. System Restore (choose a point prior to the date this occurred).
2. Repair Installation.

Dump AVG...it's not really worth the effort to install it.

Bobby

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1311F7FA-DFEA-407A-B466-DEA15049EB91@microsoft.com,
Sunixx <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I
> did it while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to
> diable the sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When
> I rebooted my computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a
> background picture but I can't right click on it. Nor do I have
> visible start menu/bar. I have to use the task manager to get around
> the computer and get work down. Does anyone know what happened? Can
> some one help me with this? Thank you!!

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL > click File > New Ta

Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1311F7FA-DFEA-407A-B466-DEA15049EB91@microsoft.com,
Sunixx <Sunixx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I recently did a virus check on my comp., using the avg program. I
> did it while my computer was in safe mode. The program asked my to
> diable the sytems restore. So I did everything right, I think. When
> I rebooted my computer my desktop icons disappeared! I still have a
> background picture but I can't right click on it. Nor do I have
> visible start menu/bar. I have to use the task manager to get around
> the computer and get work down. Does anyone know what happened? Can
> some one help me with this? Thank you!!

Hmmm...

I'm not sure how the other one sent on it's own... CTRL + ALT + DEL > File >
New Task > type "explorer.exe" and hit enter... Does that bring up your
desktop? If so then reboot right from there - and that's often the trick. If
not then see here:

Corrupted Profile: Windows XP :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/corruptprofile.html

Galen