Help me...If you can.....

G

I recently got a Leadtek Geforce 2 MX 400(cheap, i know) and it replaced my older card, a ATI Rage IIc(even cheaper). I installed it properly, deleting all trace of remaining drivers for the old card, installing the new card, and then installing the new card's drivers. I encountered a few problems but nothing i couldnt fix. Games worked fine(for a 600celeron anyway) until i attempted games using opengl, such as quake3, alice, medalofhonour, and castle of wolfenstein. All had the error in the starting log, saying it "cant load opengl subsystem". I reinstalled the drivers for the new card multiple times after fiddling around and looked for any remaining trace of the old drivers, but not to my surprise, everything was perfect. I installed the latest detonator drivers for nvidia's cards and still there was no difference in the error at startup. I got frustrated and for the last few weeks have been searching high and low for what the problem might be with my card. People are telling me that i must reinstall windows or format and then reinstall. I want to avoid this as this is most probably not going to be an option(its a long story). Please help me as i love quake 3 and medal of honour and i have to stick to games like serious sam and unrealtournament which to me is not a multiplayer option(medal of honour's singler player still rocks). Im open to any suggestions so please dont hold back.

NB- will it be possible to overclock the celeron any further without a fan- its an old version so it cant go as far as the newbies.

THANX___________L*THAL

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You probably should remove the detonator drivers, then run Regcleaner, and get rid of all your ATI and Nvidia driver references.

Also, you can search your windows directory and sub-directories for files begining with ATI, as they are most likely files from your old ATI card, and delete them.

However, it is posable that these will cause you to need to reinstall windows anyway.

you can also simply reinstall windows ontop of itself. You won't lose settings, and it tends to wipe away old driver remains.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.