Gaming speed with Wireless

I have 3 computers in 1 home that I want to setup a wireless internet.

The Router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have 2of WMP54G USB for 2 of the
computers.

The main computer will be connected to the router by a cable and the other 2
computers, wireless.

Is this hardware and setup good enough for gaming between the 3 computers
and gaming all 3 through the internet ? Can I expect any lag at all from the
wireless connected machines ?

All 3 computers are very fast (P4 3 gig with 1 gig of dual channel memory).

If there is any better hardware for setting this up please advise me.
I am very new to wireless.

Thankyou

Ron

>I have 3 computers in 1 home that I want to setup a wireless internet.
>
>The Router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have 2of WMP54G USB for 2 of the
>computers.
>
>The main computer will be connected to the router by a cable and the other 2
>computers, wireless.
>
>Is this hardware and setup good enough for gaming between the 3 computers
>and gaming all 3 through the internet ? Can I expect any lag at all from the
>wireless connected machines ?
>
>All 3 computers are very fast (P4 3 gig with 1 gig of dual channel memory).
>
>If there is any better hardware for setting this up please advise me.
>I am very new to wireless.
>
>Thankyou
>
>Ron

It will be bad for FPS. All WiFi gear is currently half duplex only.
That is you can send data or receive data but not both at once. In a
first person shooter that spells sudden death. Meanwhile any $5 wired
nic is full duplex.

> >I have 3 computers in 1 home that I want to setup a wireless internet.
> >
> >The Router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have 2of WMP54G USB for 2 of the
> >computers.
> >
> >The main computer will be connected to the router by a cable and the
other 2
> >computers, wireless.
> >
> >Is this hardware and setup good enough for gaming between the 3 computers
> >and gaming all 3 through the internet ? Can I expect any lag at all from
the
> >wireless connected machines ?
> >
> >All 3 computers are very fast (P4 3 gig with 1 gig of dual channel
memory).

> >If there is any better hardware for setting this up please advise me.
> >I am very new to wireless.
> >
> >Thankyou
> >
> >Ron
>
> It will be bad for FPS. All WiFi gear is currently half duplex only.
> That is you can send data or receive data but not both at once. In a
> first person shooter that spells sudden death. Meanwhile any $5 wired
> nic is full duplex.

I have heard from someone here that if you hooked an Ethernet bridge to one
of the LAN ports on the router that one radio can be receiving while the
other is sending.

I have no experience with this, but it sounds reasonable.

You may have a problem having nothing to do with wireless if you try to play
some Internet games on multiple computers simultaneously. The problem is
that with a NAT router, all your computers appear to have the same IP
address on the Internet. Unless the game software or the game server allow
you to specify the TCP or UDP port number, you won't be able to play over
the Internet with multiple computers. Diablo II has this problem. This
isn't a problem for LAN games though, since they only use the Ethernet
switch portion of the router, not the routing function.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> I have 3 computers in 1 home that I want to setup a wireless internet.
>
> The Router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have 2of WMP54G USB for 2 of the
> computers.
>
> The main computer will be connected to the router by a cable and the other
2
> computers, wireless.
>
> Is this hardware and setup good enough for gaming between the 3 computers
> and gaming all 3 through the internet ? Can I expect any lag at all from
the
> wireless connected machines ?
>
> All 3 computers are very fast (P4 3 gig with 1 gig of dual channel
memory).

> If there is any better hardware for setting this up please advise me.
> I am very new to wireless.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Ron

jago

Ron Bandes wrote:
> You may have a problem having nothing to do with wireless if you try to play
> some Internet games on multiple computers simultaneously. The problem is
> that with a NAT router, all your computers appear to have the same IP
> address on the Internet. Unless the game software or the game server allow
> you to specify the TCP or UDP port number, you won't be able to play over
> the Internet with multiple computers. Diablo II has this problem. This
> isn't a problem for LAN games though, since they only use the Ethernet
> switch portion of the router, not the routing function.

To add to this in regards to internet gaming, you could also run into
severe lag if you have a very limited upload bandwidth - like around
256K or less.

--
Jago

Thanks for all the replies.
My buddy wants to try the wireless so I'll post back here with the results.
The computer supplier said I can exchange the wireless hardware for wired if
I want within 7 days.

Thanks again
Ron

"RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 computers in 1 home that I want to setup a wireless internet.
>
> The Router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have 2of WMP54G USB for 2 of the
> computers.
>
> The main computer will be connected to the router by a cable and the other
> 2 computers, wireless.
>
> Is this hardware and setup good enough for gaming between the 3 computers
> and gaming all 3 through the internet ? Can I expect any lag at all from
> the wireless connected machines ?
>
> All 3 computers are very fast (P4 3 gig with 1 gig of dual channel
> memory).
>
> If there is any better hardware for setting this up please advise me.
> I am very new to wireless.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Ron

I should have listened to your suggestions better and convinced my friend to
go wired !
Very poor performance and even the signal strength was lousy on the computer
furthest from the router.(about 150 ft away)

Tomorrow it will be wired.

Thanks

Ron
"RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 computers in 1 home that I want to setup a wireless internet.
>
> The Router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have 2of WMP54G USB for 2 of the
> computers.
>
> The main computer will be connected to the router by a cable and the other
> 2 computers, wireless.
>
> Is this hardware and setup good enough for gaming between the 3 computers
> and gaming all 3 through the internet ? Can I expect any lag at all from
> the wireless connected machines ?
>
> All 3 computers are very fast (P4 3 gig with 1 gig of dual channel
> memory).
>
> If there is any better hardware for setting this up please advise me.
> I am very new to wireless.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Ron

100% success with wired.