Bizzare, consistent Artifact

G

I'm running a Radeon 8500 on an Asus A7N266-E MB with 512Meg of Corsair DDR333 running a 267Mhz FSB. WCPUID reports 1403Mhz Internal Clock with matching L2Speed. Base 1300AMDTBird. Radeon is clocked at 301/301. I am seeing one, and only one, very specific artifact. Everything else is sweet and smokin. There is something going on with Vertex Shading. So far OCing (and lack of it, using defaults) does not appear to have anything to do with this bizzare problem. It appears that many Vertices (Vertexes? ;)) are being stretched into a Pyramid. So far the easiest, fastest way to see this and test for fixing has been to use 3DMark2001SE with only DX8 Features/Vertex Shader enabled and running the benchmark. The little fellas running around shooting get more and more of the wild elongated pyramids stretching out from various vertices to some point in space where they meet. Eventually it damn near fills the screen with all the little fellas have a MASSIVE amount of these things on each one of them. I have been trying to figure out which feature of the Radeon options might be causing this, or rather disabling which might resolve it. I'm using the the 6043 Drivers (Same thing happened with official drivers) so I don't think that's it. I'm using Rage3D 3.1 Tweak to adjust these things 1 at a time but I have yet to discover anything to get rid of it when it comes to Vertex Shading. Any of you hardcore junkies know the answer to this? Really annoying to see these things stack up and destroy an otherwise excellent image/speed. Thanks.

- I have come here to kick ass and chew gum, but I broke my foot and my teeth fell out ; (

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Sounds to me like it's an OC'ing related problem. Is the 300/300 speed the default or are you overclocking it from 275/275?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I had that exact problem with OCing my 8500 OEM to retail specs. Sounds like an OCing problem.

If going down to retail speeds (275) doesn't work, go down to OEM speeds. If this fixes the problem, and you bought a Retail 8500, then you should call ATI tech support or where you got it from, and have them replace it.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

G

Thanks. Looks like I overlooked something I had done while messing with everything else. That's pretty easy to do. The problem was a combination of GPU Burst mode timing and memory clock frequency. I took the burst down a notch and adjusted the core clock and mem clock accordingly. So now the core clock is 304Mhz (Was able to go UP with it...) and mem clock at 294Mhz (from 301). The benchmark now shows a flawless vertex shading demonstration with no artifacts of any kind. Thanks guys.

- I have come here to kick ass and chew gum, but I broke my foot and my teeth fell out ; (