Most quiet - 8500 or 4400

luser

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi there!

Which of the radeon 8500 and the gf4 4400 is the least noisy one? I want my newbuilt silent system to remain as silent as possible...

//Luser

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I can't say this from personal experience with the GF4, but the 8500 is very quiet, and the GF3 wasn't quite as quiet (to my knowledge, posibly not noticably). The GF4 fans have been described as moderately noisy to "Like a mini-blowdryer".

Now, I have not heard any official numbers on any of this, but I do know that with every other fan quiet in my CPU, my HD makes more noise than my 8500 fan. That's pretty quiet.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
I also have a silent system, and my research into quite graphics cards has shown me one thing: Nobody seems to have decibel measurements for any graphics cards (or heat output for that matter).
When looking at GeForce cards, you have to remember that the different card manufacturers use different heat sinks and fans, and therefore their cards produce different amounts of sound.
The best bet for a truly quiet system is to have a card with no fan at all, but that leaves you with some low performance choices.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
luser, choose whatever card you prefer. Graphics card fans make very little noise. The Radeon 8500 and Ti4400 are very close in benchmarks but the R8500 is the clear winner in Aniso while the Ti4400 is the clear winner in FSAA. I'd go with either card.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor