AGP aperature

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
what's the right size of the AGP aperature in relation to system RAM and Video card ram
for example:
128MB ram.....and an ATIRadeon64MBDDR...on a P41,5GHZ

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
It should be half your system RAM, so in your case 64. I have 512 MB of RAM, but when I set my aperature to 256, I got random crashes, so now it's at 128.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
I've always set mine to the same number as the video card's ram. Is there any advantage to setting it higher?

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Setting it to your VC's RAM means that you can't use anymore memory than that.

Setting it higher means you can use that much more memory, but it will use conventional as oppsed to VRAM

-<font color=green><i>Kanaz</i></font color=green>

G

Everything I've ever seen concerning this value is that it should be half of your system memory. However, many motherboards had some sort of problem with the 256 setting, and so the recomendation is generally if you have anything over 256 megs of memory, you should set it to 128 megs.

BTW, this setting is the amount of main memory that the system prealloacates for use with AGP texture storage. I do not know if this means 128 megs of memory is "locked" at system start time and kept from use with other programs, but I suspect that it is.

Ron

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Here are a couple links on the topic of <A HREF="http://erado.totalwar.org/tech/solutions/perf_agp.htm" target="_new">AGP Aperture</A> and <A HREF="http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/bios/bios7.shtml " target="_new"> BIOS Settings</A> to checkout.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I am currently running a Nvidia Geforce2 Ti with 64 MB with 192 MB of ram. I recently changed my AGP aperture from 64MG to 256 MB, this resulted in an enormous increase in my framerates and 3D mark scores...it tripled, even more for certain applications. So, I guess the best advice for this would be to try it out. Use a different setting and test it. You should stumble upon a stable setting that also performs well.

"Don't be fooled by this clever signature..."