SP2: High power consumption after standby

Hi all
I got some problems after installing service pack 2. I hope you can
help me with this one:

I have an intel centrino laptop with windows xp professional and
recently installed service pack 2 on it.

Under normal circumstances, the laptop does not get very hot, and does
not turn on the fans.

Now, whenever it wakes up from standby or hibernation, it will get very
hot and run the fans almost constantly, with greatly increased noise
and battery consumption. Only after a reset will the power consumption
be back to normal.

This will happen even if no programs are runnning, and the task manager
reports almost no processor activity, or memory access. No unusual disc
access either.

Using the SpeedswitchXP utility I found out that before standby, the
processor speed will always stay below 600Mhz. After waking up, the
speed will frequently spike to 1396Mhz.
The problem persists with or without SpeedswitchXP runnning.

How can I fix this?

Thanks for any help
6 answers Last reply
More about high power consumption standby
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Cross-posting to hardware group. Can someone help Christoph?

    I have not heard of this situation before.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Christoph Mueller wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I got some problems after installing service pack 2. I hope you can
    > help me with this one:
    >
    > I have an intel centrino laptop with windows xp professional and
    > recently installed service pack 2 on it.
    >
    > Under normal circumstances, the laptop does not get very hot, and does
    > not turn on the fans.
    >
    > Now, whenever it wakes up from standby or hibernation, it will get
    > very hot and run the fans almost constantly, with greatly increased
    > noise and battery consumption. Only after a reset will the power
    > consumption be back to normal.
    >
    > This will happen even if no programs are runnning, and the task
    > manager reports almost no processor activity, or memory access. No
    > unusual disc access either.
    >
    > Using the SpeedswitchXP utility I found out that before standby, the
    > processor speed will always stay below 600Mhz. After waking up, the
    > speed will frequently spike to 1396Mhz.
    > The problem persists with or without SpeedswitchXP runnning.
    >
    > How can I fix this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Stuff like this is often corrected by a BIOS
    update for the laptop.

    Alternatively, search support.intel.com for
    Speed Step info and problem resolution.

    SP2 probably overwrote a system .DLL, driver
    or something else that Speed Step uses.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    Christoph Mueller wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I got some problems after installing service pack 2. I hope you can
    > help me with this one:
    >
    > I have an intel centrino laptop with windows xp professional and
    > recently installed service pack 2 on it.
    >
    > Under normal circumstances, the laptop does not get very hot, and does
    > not turn on the fans.
    >
    > Now, whenever it wakes up from standby or hibernation, it will get
    > very hot and run the fans almost constantly, with greatly increased
    > noise and battery consumption. Only after a reset will the power
    > consumption be back to normal.
    >
    > This will happen even if no programs are runnning, and the task
    > manager reports almost no processor activity, or memory access. No
    > unusual disc access either.
    >
    > Using the SpeedswitchXP utility I found out that before standby, the
    > processor speed will always stay below 600Mhz. After waking up, the
    > speed will frequently spike to 1396Mhz.
    > The problem persists with or without SpeedswitchXP runnning.
    >
    > How can I fix this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Vance,
    My thanks for your response.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    V Green wrote:
    > Stuff like this is often corrected by a BIOS
    > update for the laptop.
    >
    > Alternatively, search support.intel.com for
    > Speed Step info and problem resolution.
    >
    > SP2 probably overwrote a system .DLL, driver
    > or something else that Speed Step uses.
    >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote in message
    > Cross-posting to hardware group. Can someone help Christoph?
    >
    > I have not heard of this situation before.
    >
    > Christoph Mueller wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >> I got some problems after installing service pack 2. I hope you can
    >> help me with this one:
    >>
    >> I have an intel centrino laptop with windows xp professional and
    >> recently installed service pack 2 on it.
    >>
    >> Under normal circumstances, the laptop does not get very hot, and
    >> does not turn on the fans.
    >>
    >> Now, whenever it wakes up from standby or hibernation, it will get
    >> very hot and run the fans almost constantly, with greatly increased
    >> noise and battery consumption. Only after a reset will the power
    >> consumption be back to normal.
    >>
    >> This will happen even if no programs are runnning, and the task
    >> manager reports almost no processor activity, or memory access. No
    >> unusual disc access either.
    >>
    >> Using the SpeedswitchXP utility I found out that before standby, the
    >> processor speed will always stay below 600Mhz. After waking up, the
    >> speed will frequently spike to 1396Mhz.
    >> The problem persists with or without SpeedswitchXP runnning.
    >>
    >> How can I fix this?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You're welcome, Maurice.

    sorry about the Installer link, that got pasted
    in by mistake from another post that I was
    answering.

    -v.

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Vance,
    My thanks for your response.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    V Green wrote:
    > Stuff like this is often corrected by a BIOS
    > update for the laptop.
    >
    > Alternatively, search support.intel.com for
    > Speed Step info and problem resolution.
    >
    > SP2 probably overwrote a system .DLL, driver
    > or something else that Speed Step uses.
    >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote in message
    > Cross-posting to hardware group. Can someone help Christoph?
    >
    > I have not heard of this situation before.
    >
    > Christoph Mueller wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >> I got some problems after installing service pack 2. I hope you can
    >> help me with this one:
    >>
    >> I have an intel centrino laptop with windows xp professional and
    >> recently installed service pack 2 on it.
    >>
    >> Under normal circumstances, the laptop does not get very hot, and
    >> does not turn on the fans.
    >>
    >> Now, whenever it wakes up from standby or hibernation, it will get
    >> very hot and run the fans almost constantly, with greatly increased
    >> noise and battery consumption. Only after a reset will the power
    >> consumption be back to normal.
    >>
    >> This will happen even if no programs are runnning, and the task
    >> manager reports almost no processor activity, or memory access. No
    >> unusual disc access either.
    >>
    >> Using the SpeedswitchXP utility I found out that before standby, the
    >> processor speed will always stay below 600Mhz. After waking up, the
    >> speed will frequently spike to 1396Mhz.
    >> The problem persists with or without SpeedswitchXP runnning.
    >>
    >> How can I fix this?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    V Green wrote:

    > Stuff like this is often corrected by a BIOS
    > update for the laptop.
    >
    > Alternatively, search support.intel.com for
    > Speed Step info and problem resolution.

    Thank you Green and Maurice.

    Sadly I was unable to solve this problem so far.
    I indeed found a newer bios update, but it did not change anything

    I found no article on support.intel.com that seemed to fit my problem,
    but I tried to make sure all drivers are up-to-date. I also used the
    intel inf installer and then went throught each component in the device
    manager and clicked "update drivers".

    I tried the Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility, which said my
    processor was not supported by it and I should instead use the Intel
    Processor Identification Utility

    Using this, I indeed got different reported speeds before and after
    standby.
    My Processor is recognized as:
    - Intel Pentium M Processor 1400MHz
    - with reported Speed 0,95Ghz, 397Mhz Bus, before standby
    - with reported Speed 1.40Ghz, 400Mhz Bus, after standby

    Is there anything left I could do to pin this problem down?
    It really makes working with my notebook difficult.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Don't know really where to go from here
    except the following:

    if it's still under warranty, send it in

    if it came with CD's to restore it to "out of the
    box" condition, do it and don't apply SP2. If
    you're a careful user, you don't need it.

    "Christoph Mueller" <nettaxi@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > V Green wrote:
    >
    > > Stuff like this is often corrected by a BIOS
    > > update for the laptop.
    > >
    > > Alternatively, search support.intel.com for
    > > Speed Step info and problem resolution.
    > >

    > Thank you Green and Maurice.
    >
    > Sadly I was unable to solve this problem so far.
    > I indeed found a newer bios update, but it did not change anything
    >
    > I found no article on support.intel.com that seemed to fit my problem,
    > but I tried to make sure all drivers are up-to-date. I also used the
    > intel inf installer and then went throught each component in the device
    > manager and clicked "update drivers".
    >
    > I tried the Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility, which said my
    > processor was not supported by it and I should instead use the Intel
    > Processor Identification Utility
    >
    > Using this, I indeed got different reported speeds before and after
    > standby.
    > My Processor is recognized as:
    > - Intel Pentium M Processor 1400MHz
    > - with reported Speed 0,95Ghz, 397Mhz Bus, before standby
    > - with reported Speed 1.40Ghz, 400Mhz Bus, after standby
    >
    > Is there anything left I could do to pin this problem down?
    > It really makes working with my notebook difficult.

High Power Windows XP