Is there a way to remove Branding/customise start menu ite..

Hi

My cousin has installed a Dell branded version of XP pro on her PC.

The start menu has a Dell specific item (Dell Soloution Centre) below "Run"
which she would like to remove. This area of the menu cannot usually be
altered without tweaking the registry.

Does anyone know how this area of the Start Menu can be accessed so that it
can be customised or have items removed/added?

Thanks for any info.

Ian
4 answers Last reply
More about remove branding customise start menu

    Ian,

    Right-click the New Start Menu and choose Properties
    Click Start Menu tab, Customize, Advanced tab
    In the Start Menu items list, uncheck Manufacturer Link option
    Click OK, and OK.

    If the option does not appear in Start Menu properties, a small registry
    edit is required. More information is available in this link.

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize/msg/443c72e5fdd4f944

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My cousin has installed a Dell branded version of XP pro on her PC.
    >
    > The start menu has a Dell specific item (Dell Soloution Centre) below
    > "Run"
    > which she would like to remove. This area of the menu cannot usually be
    > altered without tweaking the registry.
    >
    > Does anyone know how this area of the Start Menu can be accessed so that
    > it
    > can be customised or have items removed/added?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    >
    > Ian

    Additional info:

    How to add or modify the OEM link on the Windows XP style start menu:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555437

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Additional info:
    >
    > How to add or modify the OEM link on the Windows XP style start menu:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555437
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Ian,
    > >
    > > Right-click the New Start Menu and choose Properties
    > > Click Start Menu tab, Customize, Advanced tab
    > > In the Start Menu items list, uncheck Manufacturer Link option
    > > Click OK, and OK.
    > >
    > > If the option does not appear in Start Menu properties, a small registry
    > > edit is required. More information is available in this link.

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize/msg/443c72e5fdd4f944

    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> My cousin has installed a Dell branded version of XP pro on her PC.
    > >>
    > >> The start menu has a Dell specific item (Dell Soloution Centre) below
    > >> "Run"
    > >> which she would like to remove. This area of the menu cannot usually
    be
    > >> altered without tweaking the registry.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know how this area of the Start Menu can be accessed so
    that
    > >> it
    > >> can be customised or have items removed/added?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any info.
    > >>
    > >> Ian

    Thanks for the info Ramesh.

    I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to reply to both groups!

    Regards

    Ian I^)

    You're welcome Ian.

    --

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Additional info:
    >>
    >> How to add or modify the OEM link on the Windows XP style start menu:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555437
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > Ian,
    >> >
    >> > Right-click the New Start Menu and choose Properties
    >> > Click Start Menu tab, Customize, Advanced tab
    >> > In the Start Menu items list, uncheck Manufacturer Link option
    >> > Click OK, and OK.

Start Menu Dell Windows XP