Is there a way to remove Branding/customise start menu ite..

Tags:
  • Start Menu
  • Dell
  • Windows XP
September 10, 2005 4:48:23 PM

Hi

My cousin has installed a Dell branded version of XP pro on her PC.

The start menu has a Dell specific item (Dell Soloution Centre) below "Run"
which she would like to remove. This area of the menu cannot usually be
altered without tweaking the registry.

Does anyone know how this area of the Start Menu can be accessed so that it
can be customised or have items removed/added?

Thanks for any info.

Ian

More about : remove branding customise start menu ite

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:43:44 PM

Ian,

Right-click the New Start Menu and choose Properties
Click Start Menu tab, Customize, Advanced tab
In the Start Menu items list, uncheck Manufacturer Link option
Click OK, and OK.

If the option does not appear in Start Menu properties, a small registry
edit is required. More information is available in this link.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:o rKWK2ftFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> My cousin has installed a Dell branded version of XP pro on her PC.
>
> The start menu has a Dell specific item (Dell Soloution Centre) below
> "Run"
> which she would like to remove. This area of the menu cannot usually be
> altered without tweaking the registry.
>
> Does anyone know how this area of the Start Menu can be accessed so that
> it
> can be customised or have items removed/added?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Ian

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:46:39 PM

Additional info:

How to add or modify the OEM link on the Windows XP style start menu:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555437

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ian,
>
> Right-click the New Start Menu and choose Properties
> Click Start Menu tab, Customize, Advanced tab
> In the Start Menu items list, uncheck Manufacturer Link option
> Click OK, and OK.
>
> If the option does not appear in Start Menu properties, a small registry
> edit is required. More information is available in this link.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows...
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:o rKWK2ftFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> My cousin has installed a Dell branded version of XP pro on her PC.
>>
>> The start menu has a Dell specific item (Dell Soloution Centre) below
>> "Run"
>> which she would like to remove. This area of the menu cannot usually be
>> altered without tweaking the registry.
>>
>> Does anyone know how this area of the Start Menu can be accessed so that
>> it
>> can be customised or have items removed/added?
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> Ian

September 10, 2005 10:46:40 PM

> Additional info:
>
> How to add or modify the OEM link on the Windows XP style start menu:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555437
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Ian,
> >
> > Right-click the New Start Menu and choose Properties
> > Click Start Menu tab, Customize, Advanced tab
> > In the Start Menu items list, uncheck Manufacturer Link option
> > Click OK, and OK.
> >
> > If the option does not appear in Start Menu properties, a small registry
> > edit is required. More information is available in this link.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows...

> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > news:o rKWK2ftFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> My cousin has installed a Dell branded version of XP pro on her PC.
> >>
> >> The start menu has a Dell specific item (Dell Soloution Centre) below
> >> "Run"
> >> which she would like to remove. This area of the menu cannot usually
be
> >> altered without tweaking the registry.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how this area of the Start Menu can be accessed so
that
> >> it
> >> can be customised or have items removed/added?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any info.
> >>
> >> Ian

Thanks for the info Ramesh.

I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to reply to both groups!

Regards

Ian I^)
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 11:33:12 PM