Cmd/Command Errors

I'm running Winxp Pro sp2 inc all updates.
When I try to run 'cmd' from the start>run menu item I get this error
message immediately with gibberish printed in the dos box in the background:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:054c IP:ffe4 OP:fe ff 1d 09 e9 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

When I try to run 'command' from the start>run menu item I can exit to the
dos box which contains the expected text, but I get this error message when
I try to do anything:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:065f IP:0102 OP:8f fc d1 e9 33 Choose 'close' to terminate the
application.

The only applications installed since it last worked were:
Limewire 4.9.28
Quicktime 6.5.2
ITunes 4.7.1.30
IPOD (application)
Uninstalling them did not affect anything.

I haven't installed any new hardware apart from connecting the IPOD as
required.

Can anyone interpret those error messages?

Hi,

Close all running programs. Locate ntvdm.exe in the \Windows\System32 folder
and delete it (it's probably corrupt). Reboot the system. See if the problem
goes away, as the file will be replaced by one from the system cache (System
File Protection at work).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Zilva Zanga" <zilva_zanga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Winxp Pro sp2 inc all updates.
> When I try to run 'cmd' from the start>run menu item I get this error
> message immediately with gibberish printed in the dos box in the
> background:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:054c IP:ffe4 OP:fe ff 1d 09 e9 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> When I try to run 'command' from the start>run menu item I can exit to the
> dos box which contains the expected text, but I get this error message
> when I try to do anything:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:065f IP:0102 OP:8f fc d1 e9 33 Choose 'close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> The only applications installed since it last worked were:
> Limewire 4.9.28
> Quicktime 6.5.2
> ITunes 4.7.1.30
> IPOD (application)
> Uninstalling them did not affect anything.
>
> I haven't installed any new hardware apart from connecting the IPOD as
> required.
>
> Can anyone interpret those error messages?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uAoG0SgtFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Zilva Zanga <zilva_zanga@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> I'm running Winxp Pro sp2 inc all updates.
> When I try to run 'cmd' from the start>run menu item I get this error
> message immediately with gibberish printed in the dos box in the
> background: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:054c IP:ffe4 OP:fe ff 1d 09 e9 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> When I try to run 'command' from the start>run menu item I can exit
> to the dos box which contains the expected text, but I get this error
> message when I try to do anything:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:065f IP:0102 OP:8f fc d1 e9 33 Choose 'close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> The only applications installed since it last worked were:
> Limewire 4.9.28
> Quicktime 6.5.2
> ITunes 4.7.1.30
> IPOD (application)
> Uninstalling them did not affect anything.
>
> I haven't installed any new hardware apart from connecting the IPOD as
> required.
>
> Can anyone interpret those error messages?

The error message doesn't match but this is what worked for the last person
though that was with 2k...

Error: 16-bit app on XP SP2 :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/xpdoserrors.html

See also here:

Computing.Net - Problem with Command Prompt:
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/140517.html

There's a bit about trying the sfc /scannow prompt. No reply about it
working or not.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

> Hi,
>
> Close all running programs. Locate ntvdm.exe in the \Windows\System32
> folder and delete it (it's probably corrupt). Reboot the system. See if
> the problem goes away, as the file will be replaced by one from the system
> cache (System File Protection at work).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Zilva Zanga" <zilva_zanga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Winxp Pro sp2 inc all updates.
>> When I try to run 'cmd' from the start>run menu item I get this error
>> message immediately with gibberish printed in the dos box in the
>> background:
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
>> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>> CS:054c IP:ffe4 OP:fe ff 1d 09 e9 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
>> application.
>>
>> When I try to run 'command' from the start>run menu item I can exit to
>> the dos box which contains the expected text, but I get this error
>> message when I try to do anything:
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
>> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>> CS:065f IP:0102 OP:8f fc d1 e9 33 Choose 'close' to terminate the
>> application.
>>
>> The only applications installed since it last worked were:
>> Limewire 4.9.28
>> Quicktime 6.5.2
>> ITunes 4.7.1.30
>> IPOD (application)
>> Uninstalling them did not affect anything.
>>
>> I haven't installed any new hardware apart from connecting the IPOD as
>> required.
>>
>> Can anyone interpret those error messages?

That didn't work. Winxp replaced it with another one. I tried deleting the
dll file as well which really upset winxp & I had to restore it.

Hi,

Didn't say anything about deleting the .dll file, just the executable. Do
the same thing with wowexec.exe - if it doesn't help, then follow Galen's
suggestion to run sfc /scannow.

--

>> Hi,
>>
>> Close all running programs. Locate ntvdm.exe in the \Windows\System32
>> folder and delete it (it's probably corrupt). Reboot the system. See if
>> the problem goes away, as the file will be replaced by one from the
>> system cache (System File Protection at work).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Zilva Zanga" <zilva_zanga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm running Winxp Pro sp2 inc all updates.
>>> When I try to run 'cmd' from the start>run menu item I get this error
>>> message immediately with gibberish printed in the dos box in the
>>> background:
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
>>> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>>> CS:054c IP:ffe4 OP:fe ff 1d 09 e9 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
>>> application.
>>>
>>> When I try to run 'command' from the start>run menu item I can exit to
>>> the dos box which contains the expected text, but I get this error
>>> message when I try to do anything:
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
>>> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>>> CS:065f IP:0102 OP:8f fc d1 e9 33 Choose 'close' to terminate the
>>> application.
>>>
>>> The only applications installed since it last worked were:
>>> Limewire 4.9.28
>>> Quicktime 6.5.2
>>> ITunes 4.7.1.30
>>> IPOD (application)
>>> Uninstalling them did not affect anything.
>>>
>>> I haven't installed any new hardware apart from connecting the IPOD as
>>> required.
>>>
>>> Can anyone interpret those error messages?
>>>

> That didn't work. Winxp replaced it with another one. I tried deleting the
> dll file as well which really upset winxp & I had to restore it.

gboy17

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
hmmm..

i have a problem about CMD..

when i run it, an error is always occurring and my computer shuts down.

how can i fix it..

some kind of error is popping up and i can't read what the error is...

then it shuts down.

how could i fix it?...