Inaccurate security warning in XP.

I posted this query yesterday but there is still no sign of its
appearing so here I go again!

After the latest update, on booting Windows XP I frequently get
the red shield telling me that protection software is not
installed and telling me to click the balloon to fix the
problem. I see the McAfee virus and firewall installation window
previous to this but Windows insists on the warning. If I do
click the balloon, the security center opens and closes with no
red shield and a happy computer! If I just ignore things the red
shield also goes away eventually. I certainly would like to be
warned if my protection software was really not installed but I
think this crying "Wolf!" will have its traditional effect.

Is there anything I can do about it?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA
2 answers Last reply
More about inaccurate security warning

    Are your McAfee applications up to date? Try running the Firewall setup
    again and establish McAfee Security Center as the default.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.erols.com> wrote in message
    >I posted this query yesterday but there is still no sign of its appearing
    >so here I go again!
    >
    > After the latest update, on booting Windows XP I frequently get the red
    > shield telling me that protection software is not installed and telling me
    > to click the balloon to fix the problem. I see the McAfee virus and
    > firewall installation window previous to this but Windows insists on the
    > warning. If I do click the balloon, the security center opens and closes
    > with no red shield and a happy computer! If I just ignore things the red
    > shield also goes away eventually. I certainly would like to be warned if
    > my protection software was really not installed but I think this crying
    > "Wolf!" will have its traditional effect.
    >

    > Is there anything I can do about it?
    >

    > James Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland, USA

    I've seen that a couple times - ignore it, it goes away. Open security
    center, it stays.

    "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.erols.com> wrote in message
    >I posted this query yesterday but there is still no sign of its appearing
    >so here I go again!
    >
    > After the latest update, on booting Windows XP I frequently get the red
    > shield telling me that protection software is not installed and telling me
    > to click the balloon to fix the problem. I see the McAfee virus and
    > firewall installation window previous to this but Windows insists on the
    > warning. If I do click the balloon, the security center opens and closes
    > with no red shield and a happy computer! If I just ignore things the red
    > shield also goes away eventually. I certainly would like to be warned if
    > my protection software was really not installed but I think this crying
    > "Wolf!" will have its traditional effect.
    >

    > Is there anything I can do about it?
    >

    > James Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland, USA

Security Windows XP