Sign in with
Your question

I want a new Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2002 5:55:45 PM

Hello everyone I would like to get a new graphics card but I need a PCI card. I know the PCI video cards suck but I have no AGP slot. I was thinking about the new G4 MX 420,440,460 but not sure if the 460 comes in a PCI card. What I would really like is the G4 TI4600 or any TI card but all I see is AGP. I have looked at the Radeon 8500 also but no luck...

computer specs:
Compaq 500Mhz
256 MB RAM
20 Gig
DVD & a CD-CDRW
Voodoo4 4500 PCI (it had the video biult in the motherboard but I changed to the Voodoo card)

More about : graphics card

March 15, 2002 6:21:20 PM

A PCI card is useless. You already have the second best PCI card available.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 15, 2002 7:21:41 PM

You'd be better off getting a new CPU and MB.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2002 10:41:00 PM

Thank you both for the info. I didn't know the Voodoo4 4500 was the second best PCI card available. It's hard to find any info or tests that have a PCI card in them or have been done with them.
About getting a new CPU and MB, you know I have a Compaq so how big of a prob. is it for me to change the MB and CPU??
I have a mid to big tower so the MB should fit maybe. Not sure what the power supply I have. Lets say I was going to get a BUILD IT YOURSELF KIT: It comes as:
CPU : Intel S478 Pentium 4 1.7GHZ
CPU Fan : P4 S478 CPU Fan
Mother Board : MSI 645 ULTRA SIS645 S478 DDR ATX
Sound Card : On-Board Sound Card
for $489
Will it work like my computer is now but faster or will I need to add more stuff, config with my system?
I just picked that combo off a website. Maybe there is a lot better CPU & MB for the money that you know of.
March 15, 2002 11:02:03 PM

Quote:
I didn't know the Voodoo4 4500 was the second best PCI card available

Well, that's in my opinion. I've always considered the Voodoo cards to be the most bus bandwidth efficient. What this means is that they make the most out of the limited speed of the PCI bus unlike the newer cards.

Quote:

I have a mid to big tower so the MB should fit maybe. Not sure what the power supply I have. Lets say I was going to get a BUILD IT YOURSELF KIT: It comes as:
CPU : Intel S478 Pentium 4 1.7GHZ
CPU Fan : P4 S478 CPU Fan
Mother Board : MSI 645 ULTRA SIS645 S478 DDR ATX
Sound Card : On-Board Sound Card
for $489

You need to get some DDR RAM too. Also, I'd suggest that you get the 1.6A P4 instead of the 1.7GHz P4. The P4 1.6A is as fast or faster in most tasks than the 1.7Ghz P4.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
!