Premature warning on boot up.

I posted this query yesterday but it did not appear for me. It
was my own fault since one of my news rules deleted messages
with "war" in the subject. Please forgive me if I post it again.

After the latest update, on booting Windows XP I frequently get
the red shield telling me that protection software is not
installed and telling me to click the balloon to fix the
problem. I see the McAfee virus and firewall installation window
previous to this but Windows insists on the warning. If I do
click the balloon, the security center opens and closes with no
red shield and a happy computer! If I just ignore things the red
shield also goes away eventually. I certainly would like to be
warned if my protection software was really not installed but I
think this crying "Wolf!" will have its traditional effect.

Is there anything I can do about it?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Hello James,

As long as your Antivirus & firewall are on, and being loaded at each Windows startup, then, I'd suggest a work-around.

From All programs > Accessories> System Tools > select Security Center.
There click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me".

Change the AV option to Not Monitored. You'll have to click the double-arrow icon. Click the Recommendations button.
Then check the box "I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself".

How old is your McAfee version? Make sure you are getting up-to-date definitions.

Have another source check your current virus & security status. First, temporarily turn-off (disable) your McAfee. Then visit Trendmicro website.
You can run a free online antivirus & security check at Trendmicro
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

James Silverton wrote:
> I posted this query yesterday but it did not appear for me. It
> was my own fault since one of my news rules deleted messages
> with "war" in the subject. Please forgive me if I post it again.
>

> After the latest update, on booting Windows XP I frequently get
> the red shield telling me that protection software is not
> installed and telling me to click the balloon to fix the
> problem. I see the McAfee virus and firewall installation window
> previous to this but Windows insists on the warning. If I do
> click the balloon, the security center opens and closes with no
> red shield and a happy computer! If I just ignore things the red
> shield also goes away eventually. I certainly would like to be
> warned if my protection software was really not installed but I
> think this crying "Wolf!" will have its traditional effect.
>

> Is there anything I can do about it?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland, USA

James,

I see your other posts ( and other replies) dated Sept 9 & Sept 10. Recheck your O.E. View settings. Make sure View > Current View is set to show All messages, AND, Show replies to my messages.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice wrote on Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:34:37 -0500:

MNM> As long as your Antivirus & firewall are on, and being
MNM> loaded at each Windows startup, then, I'd suggest a
MNM> work-around.

Thanks, I'll look into the work-around. My McAfee software is
as up to date as I can make it and the last downloaded updates
were applied yesterday.

My Comcast cable broadband connection now provides the McAfee
Firewall and Anti-virus tho' I actually paid for a year's
subscription to the Anti-virus a few months ago. It is amusing
that I finally got irked enough by Microsoft's nagging to
install a free trial of Symantec's version. The nagging just got
even worse, tho' now from Symantec, even while the trial had
three months to go! I was irritated enough to buy McAfee. McAfee
is not totally innocent about nagging since I got a message
every few days telling me how inadequate was Microsoft's
firewall but that point is now moot :)

James Silverton.

James wrote to Maurice N ~ MVP on Sat, 10 Sep 2005
17:33:04 -0400:

MNM>> As long as your Antivirus & firewall are on, and being
MNM>> loaded at each Windows startup, then, I'd suggest a
MNM>> work-around.\

MNM>>From All programs > Accessories> System Tools > select
Security Center.
There click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me".

Change the AV option to Not Monitored. You'll have to click the
double-arrow icon. Click the Recommendations button.
Then check the box "I have an antivirus program that I'll
monitor myself".

JS> Thanks, I'll look into the work-around. My McAfee software
JS> is as up to date as I can make it and the last downloaded
JS> updates were applied yesterday.

I tried the work-around and all went as indicated but turning
off the monitoring did not bring up the "I have....monitor
myself" choice.

James Silverton.

Log off the system and restart it. Does the "warning" still show ?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User