8500 Radeon?

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
I'm thinking of retiring my GeForce3/GeForce2 setup for an 8500 Radeon. I'm running XP Pro, dual Sony G520's, and all SCSI under an Athlon 1.33; everybody's home, happy, and stable, but I like the idea of freeing up a PCI slot. I'm looking for any helpful advice, suggestions, or warnings/gotcha's. Thanks in advance.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
An 8500 would be great. Would give you better performance than the GF3 (Definately better than the GF2), and allow you other things with dual monitors with Hydravision that you can't currently do.

You might want to look into the 128 MB versions. I don't know if they would help with dual monitors or not, but it is a faster card. If money is an issue, the retail 8500 64 MB should do you well too. I think that comes with a DVI-VGA adapter (if not, they're $10).

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
If money is an issue, the retail 8500 64 MB should do you well too. I think that comes with a DVI-VGA adapter (if not, they're $10).
Yes, it does come with the adapter.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
Money is always an issue, but I'm thinking the 128MB might serve better given the dual 21" displays. Plus, I have a couple of legacy boxes I can use the GeForce's in, which makes it a little easier to justify the $$. I think what I'm concerned about are driver issues, as I've heard ATI is a little shakey in that department. In fact, I tried one of their first-generation Radeons when they first were released, and the shipping drivers (for XP) wouldn't even install!! Don't want to revisit that. I've also wondered about additional functionality with Hydravision, over my current setup.

Thanks for the posts.