Why are some of my files in explorer blue instead of black?

Roydew wrote:
> Why are some of my files in explorer blue instead of black?

By design, WinXP automatically compresses files that do not get used
frequently, and, if you've left the default settings intact, displays
those files in blue.

If you wish to change this behavior, in Windows Explorer, click
Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced settings: Show encrypted or
compressed NTFS files in color.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
> I have WXP-Home/Sp2 and there is no "Advanced Settings" under View.
> There are 3 settings and "Advanced Settings" isn't one of them.
>
> FS~

I'm not speaking of the dialog boxes tabs. The Advanced View Window
(the lower half of the View tab) contains a list of options to be
selected/deselected. WinXP Home SP2 contains this same dialog box, the
same View tab, and the same Advanced Settings windows as does WinXP Pro.
The option to show compressed or encrypted files in a different color
is near the bottom of the list.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
> I have WXP-Home/Sp2 and there is no "Advanced Settings" under View.
> There are 3 settings and "Advanced Settings" isn't one of them.

Windows XP Home Edition does not offer the encryption capability. That is a
professional version "thing".

For compression, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987

(Last part of the article.)