Help Settle a dispute *DELETED*

prepsmdker

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I'd have to say that you're wrong!

From you perspective, you look at things that USE the features of DX 8... not just REQUIRE DX8. THere is a difference. I bet you can find games that come out now that are 2D that actually require DX8... but there's no point to it(THere is a point to it as it is, but I expect because it's the latest standard and there's possibly lots of bugs Microsoft fixed between DX7 and DX8, which helps run games better... possibly), since there's no pushing the 3D features of DX8. HOwever, DX 8 offers features iteslf beyond just Pixel Shaders, that was first showcased in Aquanox(which was possibly the first game to actually USE these features Of Direct X).

MErely the requirement of DX 8, doesn't mean you take advantage of it. So in part, Mechwarrior 4 could require DX8, even if it doesn't use many of its newer features. I can guarentee it won't run under Directx 7(as no game requiring DX8 probably wouldn't)!

So, if you're point is that Aquanox is the first game requireing DX8, you're wrong.

BTW, it's probably not too sporting of you to take your argument outside of the forum you're on. Perhaps you could give a link to the argument, so I can get more of a perspective on this? I'd rather answer a question like this in your own forum so that you don't just ignore my answer(not saying you will, but I don't know you, and it happens alot, so don't take it as an offense) and take someone else's who agrees with you, as that's merely a one-sided belief, ignoring those who don't agree.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The point I was trying to make was that a card built for directx8 (like a G3) would make most any game look better.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think if it doesn't actually USE the direcx 8 apis then it won't look better just because its a geforce 3, it would probably just means it would run faster.
For instance I play half life engine games once in awhile, and I know that game does not have direct x 8 support in it, but when I got my Geforce 3 the game ran faster, and when I get my geforce 4 it'll be even faster, and look nicer (because of FSAA not direct x)

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
A newer video card might look nicer simply because of image quality issues. Moving from a TNT2 to an 8500 would improve image quality on the simple fact that the 8500 has excelant image quality.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Half Life isn't a very good example. Any modern card can handle it with MAX resolution and MAX FSAA. That's what I play it at on my R8500 without any FPS loss (at least not below 100fps).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor