(AGP and slot one)Newbie needs your opinion please

MollyMhz

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
I was told by my computer manufacture that the PCI slot arrangement didn't matter. That all the "New" motherboards don't care about the slot one rule. I have a GA 7DX.
I sent my first system back because the 64mb GeForce3 failed.
I thought because the 3com 3C905CX 10/100 card was in the first PCI slot under the AGP, was blocking the fan and, perhaps cooked the video card? The company took the system back and sent out the same configuration this time with another USrobotics modem under the 10/100. I called VisionTek, maker of the GeForce3 card, and they said it didn't like to share the 1st PCI slot. The computer Manufacture said if I have any problems I could change the cards around with their help. ( So what am I paying them for?) Anyhow what is the rule on this, I also heard that modems put out a lot of heat. I am sure there couldn't be more than 1/4 and I think less between the Video and first PCI card 10/100. Thank you for your help

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
In general its just best to leave the 1st pci slot free if for no other reason than giving it more room to cool off, speically the geforce cards with fans...

I like to space out my cards as much as i can, you can move em around without having to reconfigure ANYTHING in windows...just turn everything off, unplug the case, be sure to touch the metal of the case to ground yerself and get rid of that static electricity, then pull out a card and push it down in a new slot. Then yer done...