Windows Explorer completely blocks my desktop

Awhile back my fingers slipped on my keyboard and I found that my
normal-looking desktop, with nice background picture, had been replaced by a
Windows Explorer window, with white background everywhere but on the left
side, where it (optionally) displays the "common tasks" panel. Unfortunately
this Explorer window has no title bar and no window borders, so I can't make
it go away. (Well, if I kill explorer.exe in Task Manager it goes away, but
so, unfortunately, does everything else. When I restart explorer.exe, it once
again covers everything up.)

I'd really love to get my old desktop back. Anyone have a solution?
--
Rob

Download a VBScript which removes Common Tasks from Desktop:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"RobK" <RobK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Awhile back my fingers slipped on my keyboard and I found that my
> normal-looking desktop, with nice background picture, had been replaced by
> Windows Explorer window, with white background everywhere but on the left
> side, where it (optionally) displays the "common tasks" panel.
> Unfortunately
> this Explorer window has no title bar and no window borders, so I can't
> make
> it go away. (Well, if I kill explorer.exe in Task Manager it goes away,
> but
> so, unfortunately, does everything else. When I restart explorer.exe, it
> once
> again covers everything up.)
>
> I'd really love to get my old desktop back. Anyone have a solution?
> --
> Rob

Hi Ramesh. I downloaded and ran the VBScript, but all it did was tell me that
my registry setting was already correct.

My problem isn't that the common tools are on my desktop. I can make them
disappear by changing my Windows Explorer options. Rather, Windows Explorer
itself seems to be maximized over my desktop and is opaque to the desktop
background behind it.
--
Rob

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Download a VBScript which removes Common Tasks from Desktop:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "RobK" <RobK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Awhile back my fingers slipped on my keyboard and I found that my
> > normal-looking desktop, with nice background picture, had been replaced by
> > Windows Explorer window, with white background everywhere but on the left
> > side, where it (optionally) displays the "common tasks" panel.
> > Unfortunately
> > this Explorer window has no title bar and no window borders, so I can't
> > make
> > it go away. (Well, if I kill explorer.exe in Task Manager it goes away,
> > but
> > so, unfortunately, does everything else. When I restart explorer.exe, it
> > once
> > again covers everything up.)
> >
> > I'd really love to get my old desktop back. Anyone have a solution?
> > --
> > Rob

Rob,

Can you post a screenshot of it. Or perhaps send the image to my email
address? (If so, remove XOX. from my email)

--

> Hi Ramesh. I downloaded and ran the VBScript, but all it did was tell me
> that
> my registry setting was already correct.
>
> My problem isn't that the common tools are on my desktop. I can make them
> disappear by changing my Windows Explorer options. Rather, Windows
> Explorer
> itself seems to be maximized over my desktop and is opaque to the desktop
> background behind it.
> --
> Rob
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Download a VBScript which removes Common Tasks from Desktop:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "RobK" <RobK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Awhile back my fingers slipped on my keyboard and I found that my
>> > normal-looking desktop, with nice background picture, had been replaced
>> > by
>> > Windows Explorer window, with white background everywhere but on the
>> > left
>> > side, where it (optionally) displays the "common tasks" panel.
>> > Unfortunately
>> > this Explorer window has no title bar and no window borders, so I can't
>> > make
>> > it go away. (Well, if I kill explorer.exe in Task Manager it goes away,
>> > but
>> > so, unfortunately, does everything else. When I restart explorer.exe,
>> > it
>> > once
>> > again covers everything up.)
>> >
>> > I'd really love to get my old desktop back. Anyone have a solution?
>> > --
>> > Rob

Emailed it to you.
--