Reactivating password protected user account

Hey, I just reloaded Windows XP because someone had deleted some crucial
files and it wasn't working properly anymore. All the data is still intact. I
was wondering how to reactivate my old user account. It's password protected,
and won't let me do anything with it.

Ladytessafer wrote:
> Hey, I just reloaded Windows XP because someone had deleted some crucial
> files and it wasn't working properly anymore. All the data is still intact. I
> was wondering how to reactivate my old user account. It's password protected,
> and won't let me do anything with it.

You very probably cannot translate that old user profile into the new
installation. You're easiest course of action would be to copy the data
files from it to a new user profile.

As far as the OS is concerned, you're most definitely not the same
person who created those data files; ergo, you shouldn't blindly be
granted access to them. You'll need to re-create your privileges to the
files by taking "ownership" of them.

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Ladytessafer wrote:
> Hey, I just reloaded Windows XP because someone had deleted some
> crucial files and it wasn't working properly anymore. All the data is
> still intact. I was wondering how to reactivate my old user account.
> It's password protected, and won't let me do anything with it.

You cannot - but you can take ownership and copy allthe files off of it.

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/30787

--
Shenan Stanley