quietest desktop Dell

I've been looking at the new Dimension, in particular the 5100c and 9100
Pentium D machines. (The 5100c is only offered with Pentium D at the small
business section.) I understand these machines use the new BTX cases. Has
anybody had any real-world experience with one of these? Are the noise
levels acceptable? If not I'll wait until next year for the new dual core
laptops or anything Apple offers after the switch to Intel. Any thoughts?
45 answers Last reply
More about quietest desktop dell

    > I understand these machines use the new BTX cases. Has anybody had any
    > real-world experience with one of these? Are the noise levels
    > acceptable?

    Not real world experience, but the airflow is supposed to be more
    efficient and therefore less noisy than current ATX arrangements

    "Gabriel" <gabriel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've been looking at the new Dimension, in particular the 5100c and 9100
    > Pentium D machines. (The 5100c is only offered with Pentium D at the small
    > business section.) I understand these machines use the new BTX cases. Has
    > anybody had any real-world experience with one of these? Are the noise
    > levels acceptable? If not I'll wait until next year for the new dual core
    > laptops or anything Apple offers after the switch to Intel. Any thoughts?

    Very quiet. Perhaps even more quiet than my Dimension 8300 which I find
    unusually quiet - (can't tell it's on many times).

    The BTX boxes have the (larger w/lower RPM) fans mounted mid-case rather
    than mounted to the rear wall of the chassis.

    Short of a bad fan, it's going to be quiet.

    Stew

    Thanks Stew,

    I got my 8200 in late 2001. The performance was (and still is) good, despite
    the fact that it uses an ancient 1.8 GHz P4 with just 256K of L2 cache, but
    the noise was horrible. Dell replaced the fan with their better MNB model
    but the machine remained noisy. I've been stuck with this noisy thing for
    almost four years but I promised myself that I would NEVER buy another
    desktop system from Dell or anyone else unless it was reasonably quiet. If I
    need to get a "desktop replacement" laptop next time I will. As much as I'd
    love the smaller form factor of the 5100c, I'd still prefer a large tower if
    it's quieter. If Apple can build large, quiet towers and sleek, small, quiet
    desktop cases using sizzling hot PowerPC chips, then Dell should be able to
    do the same. (On the iMac G5 you can adjust the processor speed to increase
    or decrease fan speed. I believe the BTX cases allow the same thing.) And
    since Apple is switching to Intel I'll be able to run Windows (and Nero) on
    them (plus OS X). The Pentium D is drawing my attention *now* (since the P4
    has been such a good processor and I have succesfully tamed XP) but by this
    winter the dual core Pentium Ms will be here and those will result in
    quieter systems because they require less power and will run cooler.
    According to your helpful post you already own or use a PC in a BTX case
    (unless you're just assuming that it's quieter than your 8300), so I might
    go for it.

    Thanks again.

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Gabriel" <gabriel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I've been looking at the new Dimension, in particular the 5100c and 9100
    >> Pentium D machines. (The 5100c is only offered with Pentium D at the
    >> small business section.) I understand these machines use the new BTX
    >> cases. Has anybody had any real-world experience with one of these? Are
    >> the noise levels acceptable? If not I'll wait until next year for the new
    >> dual core laptops or anything Apple offers after the switch to Intel. Any
    >> thoughts?
    >>

    > Very quiet. Perhaps even more quiet than my Dimension 8300 which I find
    > unusually quiet - (can't tell it's on many times).
    >
    > The BTX boxes have the (larger w/lower RPM) fans mounted mid-case rather
    > than mounted to the rear wall of the chassis.
    >
    > Short of a bad fan, it's going to be quiet.
    >

    > Stew

    This may help as alternative to a quieter machine. My older (500 MHz)
    Tower is set up as a file server under my desk with 3 other towers (KVM
    Switch-4) and a small fan keep them cool. It is still by far the noisiest
    and I had sort of grown used to it. One day after reading post about noise,
    I thought about it and came up with this solution. I snagged the acoustic
    foam from a couple of old speaker boxes the kids had trashed and glued it to
    the underside and inner sides of the desk. It insulates me from the noise
    as long as I'm using the keyboard and I only notice the noise when I lean
    back from the desk. It doesn't solve the problem per say, but it mask the
    symptoms.

    Two precautions I can see are that you need to make sure you don't push
    the case against the foam in such a way that if blocks the fan opening.
    Also that you take note of the noise on occasion and note any change that
    might warn you of a potential fan failure.

    KC

> [...]
    > >> cases. Has anybody had any real-world experience with one of these? Are
    > >> the noise levels acceptable? If not I'll wait until next year for the
    new
    > >> dual core laptops or anything Apple offers after the switch to Intel.
    Any
    > >> thoughts?
    > >>

    > > Very quiet. Perhaps even more quiet than my Dimension 8300 which I find
    > > unusually quiet - (can't tell it's on many times).
    > >
    > > The BTX boxes have the (larger w/lower RPM) fans mounted mid-case rather
    > > than mounted to the rear wall of the chassis.
    > >
    > > Short of a bad fan, it's going to be quiet.
    > >

    > > Stew

    "Gabriel" <gabriel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Stew,
    >
    > I got my 8200 in late 2001. The performance was (and still is) good,
    > despite the fact that it uses an ancient 1.8 GHz P4 with just 256K of L2

    This doesn't sound right. I've worked with Dell Dimensions at my home and
    office, and all of the models in recent years have been acceptably quiet.
    Additionally, you can muffle them a bit more by positioning them farther
    away under the desk, as long as they get good airflow. Between the new 9100
    and 5100...as someone has pointed out, the BTX design supposedly allows for
    more efficient airflow, which presumably is a good thing for quieter PCs. I
    would expect the 5100 to be slightly quieter than the 9100, since it
    generally draws less power and so has less heat to dissipate. Of course, if
    your budget allows for it, you can go looking for a fanless PC. There are a
    few; for example look at the Voodoo Eden.

    http://www.voodoopc.com/showroomnext.aspx?lineid=9

    "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfen0sp&m@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "Gabriel" <gabriel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Stew,
    >>
    >> I got my 8200 in late 2001. The performance was (and still is) good,
    >> despite the fact that it uses an ancient 1.8 GHz P4 with just 256K of L2
    >> cache, but the noise was horrible...
    >
    > This doesn't sound right. I've worked with Dell Dimensions at my home and
    > office, and all of the models in recent years have been acceptably quiet.
    > Additionally, you can muffle them a bit more by positioning them farther
    > away under the desk, as long as they get good airflow. Between the new
    > 9100 and 5100...as someone has pointed out, the BTX design supposedly
    > allows for more efficient airflow, which presumably is a good thing for
    > quieter PCs. I would expect the 5100 to be slightly quieter than the 9100,
    > since it generally draws less power and so has less heat to dissipate. Of
    > course, if your budget allows for it, you can go looking for a fanless PC.
    > There are a few; for example look at the Voodoo Eden.
    >
    > http://www.voodoopc.com/showroomnext.aspx?lineid=9

    My 4550 sounds like a jet airliner, and that is with the new fan. It is very
    frustrating.

    Tom

    > My 4550 sounds like a jet airliner, and that is with the new fan. It is
    > very frustrating.

    Is that main case fan the source of the noise? There's also the fan in the
    power supply, and some video cards have fans. In my experience, under normal
    operation, all of these fans are reasonably quiet. You might try to figure
    out if one particular fan, I guess other than the fan you replaced, is
    causing the sound.

    >> My 4550 sounds like a jet airliner, and that is with the new fan. It is
    >> very frustrating.
    >
    > Is that main case fan the source of the noise? There's also the fan in the
    > power supply, and some video cards have fans. In my experience, under
    > normal operation, all of these fans are reasonably quiet. You might try to
    > figure out if one particular fan, I guess other than the fan you replaced,
    > is causing the sound.

    Main case fan. No question. Power supply fan is whisper quiet (although I
    have a new power supply just in case). Vide card can replace with an Arctic
    cooler. Very quiet.

    Tried everything.

    Tom

    > "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfen0sp&m@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> My 4550 sounds like a jet airliner, and that is with the new fan. It is
    >>> very frustrating.
    >>
    >> Is that main case fan the source of the noise? There's also the fan in
    >> the power supply, and some video cards have fans. In my experience, under
    >> normal operation, all of these fans are reasonably quiet. You might try
    >> to figure out if one particular fan, I guess other than the fan you
    >> replaced, is causing the sound.
    >>
    > Main case fan. No question. Power supply fan is whisper quiet (although
    > I have a new power supply just in case). Vide card can replace with an
    > Arctic cooler. Very quiet.
    >
    > Tried everything.
    >
    > Tom

    Tom -

    Not an ambient air temps/circulation problem? Good airflow from room air?
    As you know, warm temps will cause the fan to run at high-end RPMs.....

    Both our 4500 and 8300 (which has a different assy. part and spec) are
    incredibly quiet, but are open to the room.

    Stew

    > Tom -
    >
    > Not an ambient air temps/circulation problem? Good airflow from room air?
    > As you know, warm temps will cause the fan to run at high-end RPMs.....
    >
    > Both our 4500 and 8300 (which has a different assy. part and spec) are
    > incredibly quiet, but are open to the room.

    Yes, I think that's the experience of most people, that the Dells are quiet.
    Tom is reporting that his case fan is running at max speed. You've
    speculated that maybe the PC is sitting in a hot spot, thus activating the
    fan. That's a possibility. On another line, I'm wondering how the fan senses
    the temperature? Is this built into the fan itself, or is there a
    temperature sensor elsewhere in the case? If the temperature sensor is
    independent of the fan, could it be reporting a high temperature in error?
    (If it's built into the fan, then it would have been replaced when Tom
    replaced the fan, so that's not the problem -- unless he replaced a "smart"
    fan with a "dumb" (always on) one.) Or are there any software settings that
    affect how the fan reacts to temperature? As an independent question, do
    Dell diagnostics (or any other utilities) report temperature readings?

    I have a new 8400 and it's so quiet I have to check the monitor to see if
    it's on. You should be quite satisfied with any of the new systems.

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Tom -
    >>
    >> Not an ambient air temps/circulation problem? Good airflow from room
    >> air? As you know, warm temps will cause the fan to run at high-end
    >> RPMs.....
    >>
    >> Both our 4500 and 8300 (which has a different assy. part and spec) are
    >> incredibly quiet, but are open to the room.
    >
    > Yes, I think that's the experience of most people, that the Dells are
    > quiet. Tom is reporting that his case fan is running at max speed. You've
    > speculated that maybe the PC is sitting in a hot spot, thus activating the
    > fan. That's a possibility. On another line, I'm wondering how the fan
    > senses the temperature? Is this built into the fan itself, or is there a
    > temperature sensor elsewhere in the case? If the temperature sensor is
    > independent of the fan, could it be reporting a high temperature in error?
    > (If it's built into the fan, then it would have been replaced when Tom
    > replaced the fan, so that's not the problem -- unless he replaced a
    > "smart" fan with a "dumb" (always on) one.) Or are there any software
    > settings that affect how the fan reacts to temperature? As an independent
    > question, do Dell diagnostics (or any other utilities) report temperature
    > readings?

    Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem is
    temp and I am going to experiment with location.

    Notan: Can you tell me the model of extender you bought and from where?

    Tom

    > Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem
    > is temp and I am going to experiment with location.

    I assume the fan is tightly mounted in place? Obviously a loosely mounted
    fan can rattle around.

    I dunno. Seems that most of us who have systems that are supposedly similar
    aren't having the problem you are. Why should that be, I wonder?

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:43:07 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Gabriel"
    <gabriel@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I've been looking at the new Dimension, in particular the 5100c and 9100
    >Pentium D machines. (The 5100c is only offered with Pentium D at the small
    >business section.) I understand these machines use the new BTX cases. Has
    >anybody had any real-world experience with one of these? Are the noise
    >levels acceptable? If not I'll wait until next year for the new dual core
    >laptops or anything Apple offers after the switch to Intel. Any thoughts?

    New Dimension XPS 5 here: very quiet. Much quieter than the four year old
    Dim. 8100 it replaced, even when running for extended periods with the
    temperature in the mid and upper eighties due to broken air conditioning
    last week.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Talkin Horse, it depends on the location. Obviously a PC in an office
    setting, with other PCs, printers, buzzing cheap fluorescent lights,
    staffers typing, etc. will not sound as noisy as one at home. I mentioned
    Apple because they do seem to take extra care in making sure their
    machines are quiet, with liquid cooling on the PowerMacs and voltage
    regulation on the iMac G5, although some Macusers bitch about the noise
    from the iMac. If they only knew what I've had to go through. But Dell is
    responding with the BTX cases and that's definitely a good thing. I read
    somewhere that they are planning on introducing a 'premium' line of PCs
    that will be built with quieter components and smaller form factors.
    Thanks for your comment above about the 5100c being quieter simply because
    it draws less power...that's something I hadn't considered. There is an
    "acoustic burden" imposed on the smaller 6.9 liter design, according to
    the documents on the Intel BTX site, but that should be counteracted by
    low power components like the slim, single optical drive, smaller, slower
    hard disks, fanless video cards (which I would prefer even on the tower),
    etc. On the other hand, the 12.9 liter design would allow a humungous CPU
    heat sink. I'll probably buy, but I think I'll wait for the Pentium D to
    go into wider circulation, probably this fall. Take care.

    http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/p4/btx/

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:11:51 -0400, Talkin Horse

    >> Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem
    >> is temp and I am going to experiment with location.
    >
    > I assume the fan is tightly mounted in place? Obviously a loosely mounted
    > fan can rattle around.
    >
    > I dunno. Seems that most of us who have systems that are supposedly
    > similar aren't having the problem you are. Why should that be, I wonder?

    It may be what I use it for. It is not only my primary desktop, used
    heavily all day every day, but a Media center machine hosting considerable
    storage. I suspect some of the problem is air flow and will try moving it.
    I suspect a BIG part of it is 3 hard drives. May have to move one or two
    out.

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem is
    > temp and I am going to experiment with location.
    >
    > Notan: Can you tell me the model of extender you bought and from where?

    http://avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/DDC2050 from http://www.42u.com/

    It's *not* inexpensive, but it's *exactly* what I need!

    (From what I could find, 42U had *the* best price.)

    Notan

    Notan wrote:

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem is
    > > temp and I am going to experiment with location.
    > >
    > > Notan: Can you tell me the model of extender you bought and from where?
    >
    > http://avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/DDC2050 from http://www.42u.com/
    >
    > It's *not* inexpensive, but it's *exactly* what I need!
    >
    > (From what I could find, 42U had *the* best price.)

    I forgot... Best wishes and a speedy recovery to Mrs. Scales!

    Notan

    > "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfen0sp&m@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem
    >>> is temp and I am going to experiment with location.
    >>
    >> I assume the fan is tightly mounted in place? Obviously a loosely mounted
    >> fan can rattle around.
    >>
    >> I dunno. Seems that most of us who have systems that are supposedly
    >> similar aren't having the problem you are. Why should that be, I wonder?
    >>

    > It may be what I use it for. It is not only my primary desktop, used
    > heavily all day every day, but a Media center machine hosting considerable
    > storage. I suspect some of the problem is air flow and will try moving
    > it. I suspect a BIG part of it is 3 hard drives. May have to move one or
    > two out.

    Tom,

    My 4550 now sits on my work bench replaced by an Optiplex GX280, but when it
    was in use here beside my desk in the family room, it had 4 hard drives and
    was used for a myriad of things from photo editing and TV watching to
    running MS's Virtual Server (I sometimes had 2 or 3 virtual systems going at
    the same time.) The system ran very quiet considering the work it was
    doing. It's location on the floor gave plenty of ventilation both in front
    and behind, however, with two dogs in the house it was a dust collector so
    I'd completely clean it out every couple of months or so.

    My 4550 is a 2.GHz P4 with 1gig of RAM. It had 4 80+ IDE drives along with
    a WinTV card, Modem, and ATA133 IDE controller card in it. My GX280 has a
    3.GHz P4 and similar setup as above. Both are very quiet.

    Neither have a vid card with a fan. If you have one this very well may be
    the source of the noise.
    --

    Rob

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Neither have a vid card with a fan. If you have one this very well may be
    > the source of the noise.
    > --
    >
    > Rob

    OK, it's time to try moving it and see what happens. No fan on the video
    card. The room is generally too hot though.

    > "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Neither have a vid card with a fan. If you have one this very well may
    >> be the source of the noise.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > OK, it's time to try moving it and see what happens. No fan on the video
    > card. The room is generally too hot though.

    Tom,

    I'm also running (2 x 80gb) Seagates in my Dim8300 with a (fanned) Radeon
    9700 Pro.

    If we all accept the fact that these (hinged) cases don't really breathe
    well enough (aside from the 8400 where ventilation was added), then room air
    might indeed solve it - or at least help it considerably.

    I've actually seen this work on a Dim3000 where the case fan remained at
    high RPM simply because of external ambients...

    Stew

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem
    >> is
    >> temp and I am going to experiment with location.
    >>
    >> Notan: Can you tell me the model of extender you bought and from where?
    >
    > http://avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/DDC2050 from http://www.42u.com/
    >
    > It's *not* inexpensive, but it's *exactly* what I need!
    >
    > (From what I could find, 42U had *the* best price.)
    >
    > Notan

    For that much, I could buy an inexpensive quiet PC and use Remote Desktop!!

    Actually, I doubt if any of these products will work, since I have a dual
    monitor setup.

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Tom Scales wrote:
    > >>
    > >> <snip>
    > >>
    > >> Sadly, it is incredibly loud even not at max speed. Part of the problem
    > >> is
    > >> temp and I am going to experiment with location.
    > >>
    > >> Notan: Can you tell me the model of extender you bought and from where?
    > >
    > > http://avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/DDC2050 from http://www.42u.com/
    > >
    > > It's *not* inexpensive, but it's *exactly* what I need!
    > >
    > > (From what I could find, 42U had *the* best price.)
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > For that much, I could buy an inexpensive quiet PC and use Remote Desktop!!
    >
    > Actually, I doubt if any of these products will work, since I have a dual
    > monitor setup.

    An inexpensive quiet PC? How about 2 inexpensive quiet PCs!!! <g>

    As I said, not only does the unit get rid of the noise, there's *no* heat
    coming from it... And on these warm, summer days, that's quite a benefit.

    While I'm not trying to sell you one, it *does* have 2 DVI outputs...

    See ya!

    Notan

    Just got a new 9100 with the Pentium D 830 (3.0GHz) Dual Core processor two
    days ago. This machine replaced an 8400 with the 650 P4 (3.4GHz) which was
    a great performer. The 8400 was very quiet, but the variable fan speeds
    with processor load was noticeable, but far from objectionable. My machine
    sits on top of the desk at ear level so I'm hyper-aware of the noise levels.
    The 9100 is whisper quiet with that massive center mounted fan behind the
    front panel. I have put the 9100 through it's paces with some
    processor-intensive applications and I cannot detect audible changes in fan
    speed with the increased processor load. Both machines use the Radeon
    X300SE cards which are fanless. My past experiences have been that the
    video cards contribute a great deal to case noise levels. I also think the
    new metal case designs that Dell is using more often now contribute to noise
    through increased resonance levels.

    Have to say I think the 9100 is a marvel of engineering and the BTX form
    factor finally adds some organization and sanity to the innards of the
    beast. Cables are neatly routed and there are lots of wide open spaces for
    unobstructed airflow. Also like the new white-silver-black color
    scheme...matches my 700m perfectly ;-) The only criticism I have is the
    lack of CD media for restoring the software, OS and drivers. I typically
    wipe the hard drives immediately and do a clean install of the OS on my new
    machines, mostly to remove the stuff that Dell loads that I don't use or I
    just have other software I prefer using instead. I can't fully wipe this
    hard drive because I'd remove the restore partition. There is an option to
    burn the OS only to a CD, and just once, but they do not make that
    application easy to find (it is not listed in the All Programs menu or
    marked by a shortcut of any kind. Also not mentioned in the users manual).
    I found it by poking around in some of the Dell installed folders on the
    hard drive, after doing some Googling and searching on the Dell Community
    boards. This application does indeed burn a copy of Windows XP and that's
    all (it's not a "restore"-type CD with all applications, etc.) which I
    prefer...kind of a purist, I guess. I am going to see if Dell will send me
    the CDs anyway since it will just make me feel better. Rather than not
    supplying these CDs as a blanket policy, I know that I for one would be
    willing to pay a little bit extra to be able to order them with my system if
    that were presented as an option.

    -Tmax60

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:33 "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Just got a new 9100 with the Pentium D 830 (3.0GHz) Dual Core processor two
    >days ago. [...]
    > I have put the 9100 through it's paces with some
    >processor-intensive applications and I cannot detect audible changes in fan
    >speed with the increased processor load. [...]
    > I also think the
    >new metal case designs that Dell is using more often now contribute to noise
    >through increased resonance levels.
    >
    >Have to say I think the 9100 is a marvel of engineering and the BTX form
    >factor finally adds some organization and sanity to the innards of the
    >beast. Cables are neatly routed and there are lots of wide open spaces for
    >unobstructed airflow.

    Thank you for your helpful review. I wonder please, regarding adding
    extra hard drives in the 9100: how easy would it be to cool them?

    Also how does the air flow through case since there no back-mounted fan
    - is there even space and mounting for one? - it's hard to tell from
    just looking at the spec and jpgs which suggested only the PSU and
    thermal module provide the airflow. (Recently I've been surprized to
    see some silent powerful workstations - not Dell's - thanks to a rear-
    mounted relatively slower 120mm fan).

    My main concern about air flow stems from hotter running hard drives,
    and a review in UK's PC-Pro in May that suggested the smaller BTX case
    used in the 5000 would have problems keeping a second 7,200 rpm hard
    drive cool (and I also wonder why Dell have replaced that model with the
    5100 so soon after introduction).

    Whilst I don't normally believe in buying the first version of anything,
    I've been hanging on to see the larger BTX machine and that 9100 is
    drawing me ...

    --
    paul (C) © 2005 is mine
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Also how does the air flow through case since there no back-mounted fan
    > - is there even space and mounting for one? - it's hard to tell from
    > just looking at the spec and jpgs which suggested only the PSU and
    > thermal module provide the airflow. (Recently I've been surprized to
    > see some silent powerful workstations - not Dell's - thanks to a rear-
    > mounted relatively slower 120mm fan).

    The air is pulled through the front of the case by the large (appears to be
    a 120mm) fan then is actually pushed over the CPU heatsink. There is no way
    I see to easily add an additional fan because there is no way to effectively
    mount it, unless you want to modify the case in some way. Once past the CPU
    heatsink, there is nothing but open space until it reaches the vent
    perforation openings in the back of the case where the air exits. I should
    also mention that there is second smaller case fan, again front mounted
    (behind the two horizontal slots in the case front), which forces air over
    the hard drives and PCI/PCIe cards. This fan has a shroud that appears to
    be designed to concentrate air flow too.

    I have installed two 250GB Seagate 7200.8 SATA hard drives in my machine.
    This new case design mounts the hard drives, horizontally side by side (not
    stacked on top of each other), at the bottom of the case. Mounting the
    drives this way probably exposes more surface area to the airflow produced
    from the second, smaller case fan. The outer case panel also has additional
    air vents in the area where the hard drives are situated.

    "paul" <usenet@watman.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:33 "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Just got a new 9100 with the Pentium D 830 (3.0GHz) Dual Core processor
    >>two
    >>days ago. [...]
    >> I have put the 9100 through it's paces with some
    >>processor-intensive applications and I cannot detect audible changes in
    >>fan
    >>speed with the increased processor load. [...]
    >> I also think the
    >>new metal case designs that Dell is using more often now contribute to
    >>noise
    >>through increased resonance levels.
    >>
    >>Have to say I think the 9100 is a marvel of engineering and the BTX form
    >>factor finally adds some organization and sanity to the innards of the
    >>beast. Cables are neatly routed and there are lots of wide open spaces
    >>for
    >>unobstructed airflow.
    >
    > Thank you for your helpful review. I wonder please, regarding adding
    > extra hard drives in the 9100: how easy would it be to cool them?
    >
    > Also how does the air flow through case since there no back-mounted fan
    > - is there even space and mounting for one? - it's hard to tell from
    > just looking at the spec and jpgs which suggested only the PSU and
    > thermal module provide the airflow. (Recently I've been surprized to
    > see some silent powerful workstations - not Dell's - thanks to a rear-
    > mounted relatively slower 120mm fan).
    >
    > My main concern about air flow stems from hotter running hard drives,
    > and a review in UK's PC-Pro in May that suggested the smaller BTX case
    > used in the 5000 would have problems keeping a second 7,200 rpm hard
    > drive cool (and I also wonder why Dell have replaced that model with the
    > 5100 so soon after introduction).
    >
    > Whilst I don't normally believe in buying the first version of anything,
    > I've been hanging on to see the larger BTX machine and that 9100 is
    > drawing me ...
    >
    > --
    > paul (C) © 2005 is mine
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eFxBe.1194$cg.485@news02.roc.ny...

    -snip-

    By any chance, could you take some pictures of your 9100 and share
    them with us? I've located a few external shots, but no open case views
    let alone ones sharp enough to allow examining of details such as the HD
    mounting arrangement and to what degree air from that secondary fan
    would come in contact with the HDs. Beggars can't be choosers, but
    the more pictures the merrier if you care to be our photo journalist :-)

    Have you gathered any temps after a period of running burnin or
    benchmarking tests? I don't know if the 9100 supports CPU temp
    monitoring, and I don't know if the X300SE does either. But I'm
    guessing those HDs probably do, and if the mounting/cooling setup
    is anything like the Precision 380's, it would probably be good if
    someone checked for max HD temps.

    BTW, when you are running your box, is air entering or exiting the
    side panel vent near the HDs?
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Re: inside of Dimension 9100 case:

    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Dell_Dimension_9100/4660-10619_16-6259096.html

    Rquires Flash Player.
    Shows/discusses some of the features inside the case.

    BTW, my 9100 arrives tomorrow. I will try to monitor this thread to see if
    you have questions:

    My system:
    Dimension 9100 desktop system
    Intel 630 CPU
    Dell’s 256MB PCI Express x16 nVidia 6800
    2G dual channel DDR2 533MHz RAM (PC4200)
    80gb Serial ATA Hard drive (7200RPM)
    Dell Wireless Keyboard and mouse
    Windows XP home
    Dual optical drives: DVD & CD RW
    Sound blaster 24 bit
    Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
    Floppy disk

    Dell 1704FPT 17" ultrasharp flat panel
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:LaSBe.1254$cg.352@news02.roc.ny...
    > Try these images. I tried to capture the hard drive "cage" area and the
    > smaller case fan's orientation to the hard drives..
    >
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_120mm_CPU_Fan.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Hard_Drive_Bay.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Inside_Case.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Smaller_Case_Fan.jpg
    >
    > This is my first use of an image hosting site, so no promises if these links
    > don't work....

    They worked, and thanks for taking the time to do that!
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Thanks for a very nice review.
    I still have one question: Why did you choose to buy a sound blaster
    audio card while the spec calls for a (apparently better) 7.1
    integrated audio. WHat are your thoughts behind the decision. I have
    already ordered one so i am not sure how this is goign to work out. But
    say I have a 5.1 home theater system and another sterio could I treat
    it a geeky way to upgrade it to a 7.1 home theater system?
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:54 "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"paul" <usenet@watman.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:33 "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:
    [...]
    >> Also how does the air flow through case since there no back-mounted fan
    >> - is there even space and mounting for one? - it's hard to tell from
    >> just looking at the spec and jpgs which suggested only the PSU and
    >> thermal module provide the airflow. (Recently I've been surprized to
    >> see some silent powerful workstations - not Dell's - thanks to a rear-
    >> mounted relatively slower 120mm fan).
    >
    >The air is pulled through the front of the case by the large (appears to be
    >a 120mm) fan then is actually pushed over the CPU heatsink. There is no way
    >I see to easily add an additional fan because there is no way to effectively
    >mount it, unless you want to modify the case in some way. Once past the CPU
    >heatsink, there is nothing but open space until it reaches the vent
    >perforation openings in the back of the case where the air exits. I should
    >also mention that there is second smaller case fan, again front mounted
    >(behind the two horizontal slots in the case front), which forces air over
    >the hard drives and PCI/PCIe cards. This fan has a shroud that appears to
    >be designed to concentrate air flow too.

    That's excellent news.

    >I have installed two 250GB Seagate 7200.8 SATA hard drives in my machine.
    >This new case design mounts the hard drives, horizontally side by side (not
    >stacked on top of each other), at the bottom of the case. Mounting the
    >drives this way probably exposes more surface area to the airflow produced
    >from the second, smaller case fan. The outer case panel also has additional
    >air vents in the area where the hard drives are situated.

    That's just what I wanted to know; thankyou very much for this and for
    taking the time to do the jpgs on Friday, they're also most informative.

    --
    paul (C) © 2005 is mine
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tmax60, thanks for sharing your experiences and insights. It is because of
    people like you that I come to the newsgroups searching for information.
    The pics look great and I appreciate your time taking and posting them.
    Dell should send you a comission check. :)

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:15:23 -0400, Tmax60 <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Try these images. I tried to capture the hard drive "cage" area and the
    > smaller case fan's orientation to the hard drives..
    >
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_120mm_CPU_Fan.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Hard_Drive_Bay.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Inside_Case.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Smaller_Case_Fan.jpg
    >
    > This is my first use of an image hosting site, so no promises if these
    > links
    > don't work....
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    It's always been my experience that integrated devices (like sound and
    graphics) do not perform as well as separate cards and have fewer features.
    This may no longer be true, but I'm still a little "old school" on this
    topic. I suppose it's overkill in my case because I really have no
    intention of making a Media Center out of this 9100, but I often do
    conversion of vinyl to CD and a lot with music files (i.e. iTunes). Also,
    the Soundblaster option kills two birds with one stone...upgraded audio and
    gives you a FireWire port (although it is located on the back of the
    case...not as convenient as the front panel option).

    Tmax60

    <paldevi@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for a very nice review.
    > I still have one question: Why did you choose to buy a sound blaster
    > audio card while the spec calls for a (apparently better) 7.1
    > integrated audio. WHat are your thoughts behind the decision. I have
    > already ordered one so i am not sure how this is goign to work out. But
    > say I have a 5.1 home theater system and another sterio could I treat
    > it a geeky way to upgrade it to a 7.1 home theater system?

  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    You are quite welcome.

    "Gabriel" <zgabefl@xgmail.com> wrote in message
    Tmax60, thanks for sharing your experiences and insights. It is because of
    people like you that I come to the newsgroups searching for information.
    The pics look great and I appreciate your time taking and posting them.
    Dell should send you a comission check. :)

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:15:23 -0400, Tmax60 <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Try these images. I tried to capture the hard drive "cage" area and the
    > smaller case fan's orientation to the hard drives..
    >
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_120mm_CPU_Fan.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Hard_Drive_Bay.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Inside_Case.jpg
    > http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05285/9100_Smaller_Case_Fan.jpg
    >
    > This is my first use of an image hosting site, so no promises if these
    > links
    > don't work....
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I ran across and article/snippet in my surfing the other day (darned if I
    can remember where..possibly another newsgroup post) that compared the
    thermal (cooling) performance of the Dimension 8400 to the Dimension 9100.
    The 9100 was substantially better (>25% improvement IIRC) because of the new
    case and BTX form factor. Might be worth Googling...

    Tmax60

    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:54 "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"paul" <usenet@watman.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:33 "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > [...]
    >>> Also how does the air flow through case since there no back-mounted fan
    >>> - is there even space and mounting for one? - it's hard to tell from
    >>> just looking at the spec and jpgs which suggested only the PSU and
    >>> thermal module provide the airflow. (Recently I've been surprized to
    >>> see some silent powerful workstations - not Dell's - thanks to a rear-
    >>> mounted relatively slower 120mm fan).
    >>
    >>The air is pulled through the front of the case by the large (appears to
    >>be
    >>a 120mm) fan then is actually pushed over the CPU heatsink. There is no
    >>way
    >>I see to easily add an additional fan because there is no way to
    >>effectively
    >>mount it, unless you want to modify the case in some way. Once past the
    >>CPU
    >>heatsink, there is nothing but open space until it reaches the vent
    >>perforation openings in the back of the case where the air exits. I
    >>should
    >>also mention that there is second smaller case fan, again front mounted
    >>(behind the two horizontal slots in the case front), which forces air over
    >>the hard drives and PCI/PCIe cards. This fan has a shroud that appears to
    >>be designed to concentrate air flow too.
    >
    > That's excellent news.
    >
    >>I have installed two 250GB Seagate 7200.8 SATA hard drives in my machine.
    >>This new case design mounts the hard drives, horizontally side by side
    >>(not
    >>stacked on top of each other), at the bottom of the case. Mounting the
    >>drives this way probably exposes more surface area to the airflow produced
    >>from the second, smaller case fan. The outer case panel also has
    >>additional
    >>air vents in the area where the hard drives are situated.
    >
    > That's just what I wanted to know; thankyou very much for this and for
    > taking the time to do the jpgs on Friday, they're also most informative.
    >
    > --
    > paul (C) © 2005 is mine
  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I was checking 9100 out after I received a few days back. It sounds
    cool. But I still couldnt find any application that can successfully
    play a 6.1 or a 7.1 DVD.
    Is Pentium D too early for its time? or am I missing something here?
    Thanks,
    Pal

    Tmax60 wrote:
    > It's always been my experience that integrated devices (like sound and
    > graphics) do not perform as well as separate cards and have fewer features.
    > This may no longer be true, but I'm still a little "old school" on this
    > topic. I suppose it's overkill in my case because I really have no
    > intention of making a Media Center out of this 9100, but I often do
    > conversion of vinyl to CD and a lot with music files (i.e. iTunes). Also,
    > the Soundblaster option kills two birds with one stone...upgraded audio and
    > gives you a FireWire port (although it is located on the back of the
    > case...not as convenient as the front panel option).
    >
    > Tmax60
    >
    > <paldevi@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for a very nice review.
    > > I still have one question: Why did you choose to buy a sound blaster
    > > audio card while the spec calls for a (apparently better) 7.1
    > > integrated audio. WHat are your thoughts behind the decision. I have
    > > already ordered one so i am not sure how this is goign to work out. But
    > > say I have a 5.1 home theater system and another sterio could I treat
    > > it a geeky way to upgrade it to a 7.1 home theater system?

  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In a few hours the machine gets pretty hot but it is one of the quitest
    machine I have ever come across.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I thought I would report back on my efforts to quiet down my 4550. I had
    replaced the fan, but it didn't help as much as I'd hoped. The problem seems
    to have been the fan was having to run at full speed to keep it cool.

    I made two changes last night:

    1) Replaced the pair of Western Digital 100GB drives with a single 250GB
    Western Digital drives. The two drives in the 4550 cage were putting out too
    much heat, too close to each other.

    2) Removed the Gigabit card that was next to the video card. I have an ATI
    Radeon 9800Pro which was noisy until I replaced the fan with an Artic
    Cooler. The coller was against the gigabit card and that card ran hot. Now
    there is some space.

    Huge difference. The only time I hear the fan on high is when the hard
    drive is on non-stop for a long time. For example, I'm copying back 150GB of
    data and it is loud. Stop the copies, wait a few minutes and it is quiet
    again.

    Yeah!

    Tom
  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Good news; thanks for the report.

    I also have two hard disks, but combining them into one larger disk is not
    an option for me. I use the second disk for daily images (part of my overall
    backup strategy) and for my paging file (to reduce the size of the image of
    my system partition).

    Once I replaced the power supply, my 4500 regained almost all of its
    original silence. What noise I get now, which doesn't really bother me, is
    probably from the addition of that second hard disk, with the attendant
    increase in heat output.

    Rhetorical question: When will someone make a writable DVD drive that
    doesn't sound like a lawn mower?
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > I thought I would report back on my efforts to quiet down my 4550. I had
    > replaced the fan, but it didn't help as much as I'd hoped. The problem
    seems
    > to have been the fan was having to run at full speed to keep it cool.
    >
    > I made two changes last night:
    >
    > 1) Replaced the pair of Western Digital 100GB drives with a single 250GB
    > Western Digital drives. The two drives in the 4550 cage were putting out
    too
    > much heat, too close to each other.
    >
    > 2) Removed the Gigabit card that was next to the video card. I have an
    ATI
    > Radeon 9800Pro which was noisy until I replaced the fan with an Artic
    > Cooler. The coller was against the gigabit card and that card ran hot.
    Now
    > there is some space.
    >

    > Huge difference. The only time I hear the fan on high is when the hard
    > drive is on non-stop for a long time. For example, I'm copying back 150GB
    of
    > data and it is loud. Stop the copies, wait a few minutes and it is quiet
    > again.
    >
    > Yeah!
    >
    > Tom

  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ted,

    that's exactly how I configure mine -- but as two partitions. The C: drive
    is 15GB, which fits on twoDVD+R with Ghost. I can restore to my hearts
    content.

    Tom
    > Good news; thanks for the report.
    >
    > I also have two hard disks, but combining them into one larger disk is not
    > an option for me. I use the second disk for daily images (part of my
    > overall
    > backup strategy) and for my paging file (to reduce the size of the image
    > of
    > my system partition).
    >
    > Once I replaced the power supply, my 4500 regained almost all of its
    > original silence. What noise I get now, which doesn't really bother me, is
    > probably from the addition of that second hard disk, with the attendant
    > increase in heat output.
    >
    > Rhetorical question: When will someone make a writable DVD drive that
    > doesn't sound like a lawn mower?
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    >> I thought I would report back on my efforts to quiet down my 4550. I had
    >> replaced the fan, but it didn't help as much as I'd hoped. The problem
    > seems
    >> to have been the fan was having to run at full speed to keep it cool.
    >>
    >> I made two changes last night:
    >>
    >> 1) Replaced the pair of Western Digital 100GB drives with a single 250GB
    >> Western Digital drives. The two drives in the 4550 cage were putting out
    > too
    >> much heat, too close to each other.
    >>
    >> 2) Removed the Gigabit card that was next to the video card. I have an
    > ATI
    >> Radeon 9800Pro which was noisy until I replaced the fan with an Artic
    >> Cooler. The coller was against the gigabit card and that card ran hot.
    > Now
    >> there is some space.
    >>

    >> Huge difference. The only time I hear the fan on high is when the hard
    >> drive is on non-stop for a long time. For example, I'm copying back 150GB
    > of
    >> data and it is loud. Stop the copies, wait a few minutes and it is quiet
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Yeah!
    >>
    >> Tom

  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:12:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Ted,
    >
    >that's exactly how I configure mine -- but as two partitions. The C: drive
    >is 15GB, which fits on twoDVD+R with Ghost. I can restore to my hearts
    >content.
    >
    >Tom

    Until the one drive fails. Safer with two drives.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Actually, I would argue that. I don't care if my C: drive fails -- it's
    just a boot drive. The difference in heat in the case is significant,
    contributing to the demise of drives.

    In my case, I back up everything important every night. I use a product
    called SyncBack, which I really like. I also have seven drives in my two
    primary machines. My 4550 has one internal drive and four external,
    totalling 720GB. My 2400 Media Server has two drives, both internal,
    totalling 240GB.

    I record a lot of video. I also shoot lots and lots of lots of photographs.
    12mp, so roughly 25mb each.

    Tom

    <Rob> wrote in message news:d0uce1p9j83vi59k348rn802js4tv3q1c7@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:12:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Ted,
    >>
    >>that's exactly how I configure mine -- but as two partitions. The C: drive
    >>is 15GB, which fits on twoDVD+R with Ghost. I can restore to my hearts
    >>content.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >
    > Until the one drive fails. Safer with two drives.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:51:47 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Actually, I would argue that. I don't care if my C: drive fails -- it's
    >just a boot drive. The difference in heat in the case is significant,
    >contributing to the demise of drives.
    >
    >In my case, I back up everything important every night. I use a product
    >called SyncBack, which I really like. I also have seven drives in my two
    >primary machines. My 4550 has one internal drive and four external,
    >totalling 720GB. My 2400 Media Server has two drives, both internal,
    >totalling 240GB.
    >
    >I record a lot of video. I also shoot lots and lots of lots of photographs.
    >12mp, so roughly 25mb each.
    >
    >Tom

    Tom, I was talking in generic situations, not necessarily your case.
    I agree heat is a bad thing but the odds of 2 drives failing at the
    same time is very small.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <Rob> wrote in message news:il3de1d17fjsa0uciuqtsfh35ocrk7bv0j@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:51:47 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Actually, I would argue that. I don't care if my C: drive fails -- it's
    >>just a boot drive. The difference in heat in the case is significant,
    >>contributing to the demise of drives.
    >>
    >>In my case, I back up everything important every night. I use a product
    >>called SyncBack, which I really like. I also have seven drives in my two
    >>primary machines. My 4550 has one internal drive and four external,
    >>totalling 720GB. My 2400 Media Server has two drives, both internal,
    >>totalling 240GB.
    >>
    >>I record a lot of video. I also shoot lots and lots of lots of
    >>photographs.
    >>12mp, so roughly 25mb each.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>

    > Tom, I was talking in generic situations, not necessarily your case.
    > I agree heat is a bad thing but the odds of 2 drives failing at the
    > same time is very small.

    Oh, I know. I'm just leery of heat. Particulary with Maxtors, which I will
    never, ever buy again.

    Tom
  45. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:56:53 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    ><Rob> wrote in message news:il3de1d17fjsa0uciuqtsfh35ocrk7bv0j@4ax.com...
    >> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:51:47 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Actually, I would argue that. I don't care if my C: drive fails -- it's
    >>>just a boot drive. The difference in heat in the case is significant,
    >>>contributing to the demise of drives.
    >>>
    >>>In my case, I back up everything important every night. I use a product
    >>>called SyncBack, which I really like. I also have seven drives in my two
    >>>primary machines. My 4550 has one internal drive and four external,
    >>>totalling 720GB. My 2400 Media Server has two drives, both internal,
    >>>totalling 240GB.
    >>>
    >>>I record a lot of video. I also shoot lots and lots of lots of
    >>>photographs.
    >>>12mp, so roughly 25mb each.
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >> Tom, I was talking in generic situations, not necessarily your case.
    >> I agree heat is a bad thing but the odds of 2 drives failing at the
    >> same time is very small.
    >
    >Oh, I know. I'm just leery of heat. Particulary with Maxtors, which I will
    >never, ever buy again.
    >
    >Tom

    Agreed. I too had some problem with Maxtors and do not buy them
    either.

Dell Pentium Computers