radeon8500 & GA7VRXP 333

G

I've made several posts, gotten alot of good advice and have made strides in stability but I still can't play an opengl game for more than @30 mins. I have tried everything that just about everyone has recommended to me. I used a fresh install of XP. I have all the newest drivers and BIOS. I have reseated and reinstalled the 8500 several times. I bought a 400w power supply. I have taken all of my additional PCI cards out uninstalled their drivers and run with just the 8500 in. (This brought my Q3Bench up to 208 fps from 161) I have the bios set at 2x and 64megs, But I still get the horizontal lines flashing and a game lock up. The temp monitors say all temps are good. I really think I have done everything I have seen to do but one more shot before I get an RMA. (how do you do that by the way?)
Has anyone got this VC and MB combop to work?

GA7VRXP, 2000XP+, 512 Samsung 333DDR, Radeon 8500, Acoustic Edge, Windows XP

G

Im not sure if you have tried this, or even are aware of it but I was checking out this motherboard myself and found a bios update on thier page www.giga-byte.com . There is supposedly a problem with the 8500, they dont quite specify it, just stating a vga problem. I hope this helps you out. Im looking into getting a system simular to yours, if this doesnt resolve your problems I guess Im going to have to look for an alternate video card =( .

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I don't know if this is what happened to you, but I had a similar problem recently. Did you overclock your card? If so, I did the same thing (however it was a different card)
I kept getting weird lines when playing anything that required 3D. I tried alot of things and finally got it to work properly again after I had deleted all the register keys containing Nvidia. After doing that, I reinstalled the latest detonator drivers and had it work properly again. That might not be your problem, but you or somebody else might benefit from my experience.

"Don't be fooled by this clever signature..."

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Make sure you have installed the following...

Via 4-in-1 drivers Version 4.37
Radeon 8500 drivers Version 6015, 6025, or <A HREF="http://www.maxreboot.com/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1016461787,71274," target="_new">6052</A>
Latest Gigabyte BIOS

Also, make sure you turn AGP Fast Writes off, AGP at 4X, and appature, well, more seems to be better for most people, so 256 if you can.

Idealy, this should solve your problem and get you some great performance.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.