Stand By and Hibernate disabled

After reformatting the HD and reinstalling XP, I find that my Inspiron
laptop doesn't have Stand By or Hibernate options. When I close the
lid and re-open it it's nonresponsive on a black screen until I turn
it off with the Power button.

I thought HAL.DLL was missing -- I got that error message once -- but
it's there in SYSTEM32 and the bootlog shows it installed as a driver.
Is there another driver missing? (I can't decipher all those short
file names.) Might it be the wrong HAL, a generic one supplied with
the XP Re-Install CD? How do I find out?

Other idea is that I've deleted the hidden Hibernate partition. It
didn't show up in FDISK or XP Setup; there were two unnamed partitions
(one was CP/M formatted!) but I didn't change them. I've got 8GB left
over, mysteriously enough, so I could set up another partition if I
need one. Would that make it work again?

Did you install everything from Dell that you are supposed to install? There
is an awful lot of software and drivers for their proprietary hardware.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Ed Ferris" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> After reformatting the HD and reinstalling XP, I find that my Inspiron
> laptop doesn't have Stand By or Hibernate options. When I close the
> lid and re-open it it's nonresponsive on a black screen until I turn
> it off with the Power button.
>
> I thought HAL.DLL was missing -- I got that error message once -- but
> it's there in SYSTEM32 and the bootlog shows it installed as a driver.
> Is there another driver missing? (I can't decipher all those short
> file names.) Might it be the wrong HAL, a generic one supplied with
> the XP Re-Install CD? How do I find out?
>
> Other idea is that I've deleted the hidden Hibernate partition. It
> didn't show up in FDISK or XP Setup; there were two unnamed partitions
> (one was CP/M formatted!) but I didn't change them. I've got 8GB left
> over, mysteriously enough, so I could set up another partition if I
> need one. Would that make it work again?

When you enable hibernate, the system creates a "file", not a partition,
called hiberfil.sys. It is created in the root of your system drive -
usually C:

Go to device manager. Look under computer for ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Is it
there? What is said about it's condition? Try to update the drivers. What
happens if you do?

I have seen the power management settings for both the mouse and keyboard
prevent a computer from going into standby/hibernate. Make sure the settings
are set to NOT allow these devices to bring the computer out of
standby/hibernate.

--

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Did you install everything from Dell that you are supposed to install?
> There is an awful lot of software and drivers for their proprietary
> hardware.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Ed Ferris" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> After reformatting the HD and reinstalling XP, I find that my Inspiron
>> laptop doesn't have Stand By or Hibernate options. When I close the
>> lid and re-open it it's nonresponsive on a black screen until I turn
>> it off with the Power button.
>>
>> I thought HAL.DLL was missing -- I got that error message once -- but
>> it's there in SYSTEM32 and the bootlog shows it installed as a driver.
>> Is there another driver missing? (I can't decipher all those short
>> file names.) Might it be the wrong HAL, a generic one supplied with
>> the XP Re-Install CD? How do I find out?
>>
>> Other idea is that I've deleted the hidden Hibernate partition. It
>> didn't show up in FDISK or XP Setup; there were two unnamed partitions
>> (one was CP/M formatted!) but I didn't change them. I've got 8GB left
>> over, mysteriously enough, so I could set up another partition if I
>> need one. Would that make it work again?

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Did you install everything from Dell that you are supposed to
install?
> There is an awful lot of software and drivers for their proprietary
> hardware.

I think so. They sent me, on request, their Drivers CD and I auto-ran
its selection and installation programs. Didn't see anything about
Power Management.

What would the Hibernation partition look like in Disk Management?
Would it be visible there?

Thanks,