Frequent rebooting during upgrade stops process completing

Hi

I've been assisting a friend with the installation of Win XP Pro Upgrade.

The current OS is Windows ME

The problem is that part way through the installation process it will get to
a certain point and then the PC will simply reboot and we then have to go
through the whole process again! Upon the next attempt (from scratch!) the
upgrade may get a little further ahead before it reboots or it may happen
prior to the previous point.

This rebooting is not to be confused with the normal reboots one expects
during an installation process. It happens when the install is half cooked
eg on DOS Screen showing a horizontal yellow bar graph it gets to say 43%
and before it gets to 100% the PC will just reboot as if someone had pressed
the reset button!

This is proving almost impossible to install and consuming a frustrating
amount of time.

The pre install compatibilty check said there were no problems so I dont
understand why this is happening or how to get around it.

Ive tried copying the I386 folder to the hard drive as suggested in one of
the install help files but it didnt make any difference.

The PC is very stable under ME or running DOS progs and rarely crashes so we
dont suspect its a hardware fault.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any info.

Ian
2 answers Last reply
More about frequent rebooting upgrade stops process completing

    Ian R wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've been assisting a friend with the installation of Win XP Pro Upgrade.
    >
    > The current OS is Windows ME
    >
    > The problem is that part way through the installation process it will get to
    > a certain point and then the PC will simply reboot and we then have to go
    > through the whole process again! Upon the next attempt (from scratch!) the
    > upgrade may get a little further ahead before it reboots or it may happen
    > prior to the previous point.
    >
    > This rebooting is not to be confused with the normal reboots one expects
    > during an installation process. It happens when the install is half cooked
    > eg on DOS Screen showing a horizontal yellow bar graph it gets to say 43%
    > and before it gets to 100% the PC will just reboot as if someone had pressed
    > the reset button!

    Well, since the OS isn't even installed, this clearly isn't a true
    Windows problem. There's a slim chance that you have a damaged
    installation CD, but it's uch more likely that there's a hardware
    problem. Seemingly random reboots would tend to indicate a potential
    over-heating problem, but we'd need much more specific information to
    make such a determination.

    > This is proving almost impossible to install and consuming a frustrating
    > amount of time.
    >
    > The pre install compatibilty check said there were no problems so I dont
    > understand why this is happening or how to get around it.

    The Compatibility Wizard is a fairly good tool, but, unfortunately,
    it's completely infallible.

    > Ive tried copying the I386 folder to the hard drive as suggested in one of
    > the install help files but it didnt make any difference.
    >
    > The PC is very stable under ME or running DOS progs and rarely crashes so we
    > dont suspect its a hardware fault.

    That's not a valid conclusion, I'm afraid. A computer's working with
    Win9x/Me is absolutely _no_ indication that it will work with WinXP.
    Computer components designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to
    meet WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.

    Have you verified that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)

    You should also take a few minutes to ensure that there are
    WinXP-specific device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many models
    in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's consumer-class
    Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K before it, is quite
    sensitive to borderline defective or substandard hardware (particularly
    motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Perhaps consider a clean install, you would need your winme cd, and ensure
    all data is backed up

    "Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've been assisting a friend with the installation of Win XP Pro Upgrade.
    >
    > The current OS is Windows ME
    >
    > The problem is that part way through the installation process it will get
    > a certain point and then the PC will simply reboot and we then have to go
    > through the whole process again! Upon the next attempt (from scratch!)
    the
    > upgrade may get a little further ahead before it reboots or it may happen
    > prior to the previous point.
    >
    > This rebooting is not to be confused with the normal reboots one expects
    > during an installation process. It happens when the install is half cooked
    > eg on DOS Screen showing a horizontal yellow bar graph it gets to say 43%
    > and before it gets to 100% the PC will just reboot as if someone had
    pressed
    > the reset button!
    >
    > This is proving almost impossible to install and consuming a frustrating
    > amount of time.
    >
    > The pre install compatibilty check said there were no problems so I dont
    > understand why this is happening or how to get around it.
    >
    > Ive tried copying the I386 folder to the hard drive as suggested in one of
    > the install help files but it didnt make any difference.
    >
    > The PC is very stable under ME or running DOS progs and rarely crashes so
    we
    > dont suspect its a hardware fault.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.