Illegal copy of Windows 7

G

Hello, I just bought a laptop on eBay with what I think is an illegal copy of Win7. On the machine, I can find what looks like a valid product key, but the CD key is showing as BBBBB BBBBB BBBBB BBBBB BBBBB. Can someone verify that this is an illegal install of Win7?

Assuming that it is an illegal copy, I'm willing to buy a legal version, but I don't want or need to reinstall the whole OS.

If I buy a legal copy with a legal product key and a legal CD key can I just change the product key and CD key on my computer without reinstalling the whole OS?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a very tech savvy user and I've never messed with changing OSs before.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

zlittell

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
it should say change key or something similar next to the key... buy the same exact version of what is installed and you can do it

even if it doesn't say the change key google around and you can do it by command prompt. JUST MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE SAME VERSION ie ultimate professional home etc

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
you dont have to buy original windows 7 for high price go to your laptop dealer and take your laptop with you and ask the employ there that you want original recovery cds for your laptop you will pay them good price and you can always format your laptop with recovery cds and its original
good luck.

Yes, if you buy a legal copy of Windows 7 (as previous posters have said, make sure you note the version of Windows 7 you have on the laptop and get the same version when you make the purchase) you can change the serial to the legit one without having to reinstall Windows.

randomizer

Champion
The only time you'll want to re-install Windows in this situation is if you think that the copy you received is not only illegal but also tampered with. It may include malware. You should run a full virus scan to make sure. It's unlikely that it's anything more than a pirated copy but some people will ship modified copies as well.

When you go to use windows update, a test will be made to verify that you have a valid installation of windows-7. If it passes that test and does your updates, you are OK.
If the test fails, you will be invited to purchase a valid windows key. I think you can do it online directly to microsoft right then. In any case, when you have a valid key you can just enter it without rebuilding the OS.

I think, though, that I would buy a upgrade package instead if necessary. It will include both 32 and 64 bit dvd.s The dvd's are bootable, and can be used to backup and recover your system. You probably do not need to update or reinstall, just use the key in the box to change the current key to a valid one. In all cases, you want to match the level of windows-7(basic, home premium, professional, ultimate).

I don't know what you have printed on the CD.
To verify that the key on your PC and what is installed are the same, download and run a product key finder program. There are several free ones.

daship

Distinguished
I would email the seller, and ask, tell him you want genuine or he will be reported to Ebay and Microsoft. It has probably been activator with one of the activators floating around the net and eventually will be blocked from MS. The files used will remain on your HDD and when MS releases a patch to look for those files you'll be screwed.

Hello, I just bought a laptop on eBay with what I think is an illegal copy of Win7. On the machine, I can find what looks like a valid product key, but the CD key is showing as BBBBB BBBBB BBBBB BBBBB BBBBB. Can someone verify that this is an illegal install of Win7?

Assuming that it is an illegal copy, I'm willing to buy a legal version, but I don't want or need to reinstall the whole OS.

If I buy a legal copy with a legal product key and a legal CD key can I just change the product key and CD key on my computer without reinstalling the whole OS?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a very tech savvy user and I've never messed with changing OSs before.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I had the sam situation. You can buy a legal copy from MS and then just enter the CD key instead of reinstalling.