I finally got my Friends SONY PCG-FX 992L Laptop working with a New
Install of XP Prof.
It was there but laptop wouldn't reboot.
My Problem is I need to get the Conexant 56K Modem Working. I need to
find drivers that will work with XP. The computer Had previously had
Windows 2000 on It. I believe I have the Old Drive [20Meg IBM
Travelstar. But someone Installed a new drive in order to Install XP.
TIA
Bob In Wisconsin

Google for: "Conexant 56K Modem drivers" and you'll come up with many hits.

Tom

"Robert J. Stevens" <atreborz@execpc.com> wrote in message
|I finally got my Friends SONY PCG-FX 992L Laptop working with a New
| Install of XP Prof.
| It was there but laptop wouldn't reboot.
| My Problem is I need to get the Conexant 56K Modem Working. I need to
| find drivers that will work with XP. The computer Had previously had
| Windows 2000 on It. I believe I have the Old Drive [20Meg IBM
| Travelstar. But someone Installed a new drive in order to Install XP.
| TIA
| Bob In Wisconsin

ChrisC

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002

Hi, I've just installed XP on a laptop with that modem, the drivers were
found automatically by windows update....
ChrisC

ChrisC wrote:

> Hi, I've just installed XP on a laptop with that modem, the drivers were
> found automatically by windows update....

But How do you get the Update to Work if the Modem Is not present???
Right now the Modem is Disabled because it did not like the Drivers from the
Win2000 Driver Recovery CD
Bob

> ChrisC
> "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
> > Google for: "Conexant 56K Modem drivers" and you'll come up with many
> > hits.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > "Robert J. Stevens" <atreborz@execpc.com> wrote in message
> > |I finally got my Friends SONY PCG-FX 992L Laptop working with a New
> > | Install of XP Prof.
> > | It was there but laptop wouldn't reboot.
> > | My Problem is I need to get the Conexant 56K Modem Working. I need to
> > | find drivers that will work with XP. The computer Had previously had
> > | Windows 2000 on It. I believe I have the Old Drive [20Meg IBM
> > | Travelstar. But someone Installed a new drive in order to Install XP.
> > | TIA
> > | Bob In Wisconsin

ChrisC

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002

Lol true, missed that bit, I was installing thro my school network try here
http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/247.htm
ChrisC

ChrisC wrote:

> Lol true, missed that bit, I was installing thro my school network try here
> http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/247.htm
> ChrisC

Chris;
Thanks. Found Three will check them out then Transfer them to SONY.
BobS

"Robert J. Stevens" wrote:

> ChrisC wrote:
>
> > Lol true, missed that bit, I was installing thro my school network try here
> > http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/247.htm
> > ChrisC
>
> Chris;
> Thanks. Found Three will check them out then Transfer them to SONY.
> BobS

OK got one to work MODEM is up and running

Mow for anotheNProblem. I set up this 20 GIG Drive as FAT32 but XP uses almost 20
GIG. If I convert to NTFS. Will that save me Space; ie Give me more Free Space???
And can that be done without reloading XP ???????
Bob

> > "Robert J. Stevens" <atreborz@execpc.com> wrote in message

> > > But How do you get the Update to Work if the Modem Is not present???
> > > Right now the Modem is Disabled because it did not like the Drivers from
> > > the
> > > Win2000 Driver Recovery CD
> > > Bob

XP is not using the 20 Gigs, some thing else is there.
20 Gigs is not great for an XP machine, but it is enough.
NTFS will not give you the extra room you want. First find out who is
using what space and clean house.
NTFS will provide more stability, but not really more room.

Yes, once you figure out who is using up all your space, and clean house,
you can convert to NTFS without reloading. There is a command line you can
run. Look in the HELP & Support command on your computer.

"Robert J. Stevens" <atreborz@execpc.com> wrote in message

(SNIP)

Richard in AZ wrote:

> XP is not using the 20 Gigs, some thing else is there.

Chkdsk Says there is 13.5 gig in Hidden files plus 738,213,888 in files
Does that seem normal for XP
If I reformat and reload as Compact will that give me more room????
Bob