"The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was resta..

nat

Sometimes, for no repeatable reason, the system stops, all the screen icons
disappear to the desktop background, then exploer restarts and about half of
my tray icons disappear. I need to restart the computer to get them back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nathaniel

XP Pro w/sp2 / 1G ram / plenty of hd space

I have a similar problem, but haven't resolved it completely. First of
all, is your computer infected with malware (spyware/adware)? Also
should get your icons and everything back up without restarting.

nat

Gunther, thank you so much for your kind reply.

1.) I'm almost paranoid about virii, sypware, etc. and I check it frequently
for spyway. (Adaware SE Plus, Spybot, I was using Webroot's program
Spysweeper until it kept bogging down things too often, and now I run
Counterspy and scan each day plus use the runtime protection, also)

2.) I will try your method the next time my system hiccups and steals away
my tray icons. :)

Again, thanks for your help,

Nathaniel