Interupted update has caused screen/colour faults

Recently i closed an update box while it was still going. as a result the
computer has stuffed up. i use windows xp home ed. the screen colours or
pixels are totally weird. i cant view pictures properly as they arent clearly
defined. what can i do? i think ive tried the "repair" option on the
installation disc but it hasnt worked.

ProhmQueen wrote:
> Recently i closed an update box while it was still going. as a result
> the computer has stuffed up. i use windows xp home ed. the screen
> colours or pixels are totally weird. i cant view pictures properly as
> they arent clearly defined. what can i do? i think ive tried the
> "repair" option on the installation disc but it hasnt worked.

What update did you cut off?

I would go to your video card manufacturer's web page and download/install
the latest driver for your video card first..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

i dont know, it was just a routine update. it was taking forever so i closed
it, i didnt realise it would cause such a problem. the start up screen is
fine, where it says windows is loading, then when it goes to the users page
and everything else, the colours and pictures are just wrong.

im not sure what the video card is, or where.

ProhmQueen wrote:
> i dont know, it was just a routine update. it was taking forever so i
> closed it, i didnt realise it would cause such a problem. the start
> up screen is fine, where it says windows is loading, then when it
> goes to the users page and everything else, the colours and pictures
> are just wrong.
>
> im not sure what the video card is, or where.

You must know what video card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
look, etc.

Your video card is the output port on your computer where the monitor hooks
up.

There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
but they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think they
pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
recommend you try two different ones:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Good luck!