Upgrade after computer failure, need to recover old files

Recently the computer crashed, and i couldnt start it normally. i used
windows ME. after turning the computer on, it went to a blank screen and gave
me an option to do something. i tried many things and in the end just
installed windows xp to override the problem. that worked, however i have
lost all my files. is there some way to get them back? this has happened to a
friend and i do know there is some way to recover some files. does someone
know how please?!
thanks.

Try searching for your files through My Computer C:\, but if that
doesn't work you probably formatted yor hard drive. I don't think its
possible to recover files that have been formatted.

I thought the files were stored in C:\My Documents for Windows ME ?

ProhmQueen wrote:
> Recently the computer crashed, and i couldnt start it normally. i used
> windows ME. after turning the computer on, it went to a blank screen
> and gave me an option to do something. i tried many things and in the
> end just installed windows xp to override the problem. that worked,
> however i have lost all my files. is there some way to get them back?
> this has happened to a friend and i do know there is some way to
> recover some files. does someone know how please?!
> thanks.

Depends on what type of recovery was performed.. Destructive or
non-destructive. If the installation of Windows XP was done including a
"format" - then your chances of recovering your data is slim to none. If it
was non-destructive - your data may exist on the partition as it is and all
you need to do is take ownership of it and copy/move it around to your
liking.

Look in C:\Documents and Settings and see if your old profile directory is
there.. If so, take ownership of it and all sub-folders/files. Then go
exploring.

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/30787

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi,

Check under C:\Documents and Settings in other user accounts to see if they
are there.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Gunther wrote:
> I thought the files were stored in C:\My Documents for Windows ME ?

Hmm - yes, you are correct.
In Windows ME, the "My Documents" folder is indeed at the root of the C:
drive.

I'm still a bit confused by the OPs message.

At some point the "computer crashed" --> at that time Windows ME is
mentioned as the OS.
Then, the OP decided to install Windows XP to remedy their problem (not the
best way to fix a crash, but..)

What is unclear is HOW they installed Windows XP.. They mention it being an
"upgrade" install - but it is possible they did a clean install as well.
Only the OP can clear that one up.

If the OP did a clean install - *poof* - everything is gone. No chance in
recovering the files.
If the OP managed to do a parallel/upgrade install - there is a possibility
the "My Documents" folder is still located on their C:\ drive and they can
access the files there.

Good catch!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I just went through that with Windows XP. After reloading, I reloaded all of
the programs that I had disc for and got my files automatically came back.
God Luck

"ProhmQueen" wrote:

> Recently the computer crashed, and i couldnt start it normally. i used
> windows ME. after turning the computer on, it went to a blank screen and gave
> me an option to do something. i tried many things and in the end just
> installed windows xp to override the problem. that worked, however i have
> lost all my files. is there some way to get them back? this has happened to a
> friend and i do know there is some way to recover some files. does someone
> know how please?!
> thanks.

Greetings,

Active@ Undelete software is DOS compatible, so you can use it to
recover valuable files. It posses really great recover methods, so it
is your best chance to restore
http://www.active-undelete.com