Upgrade after computer failure, need to recover old files

Recently the computer crashed, and i couldnt start it normally. i used
windows ME. after turning the computer on, it went to a blank screen and gave
me an option to do something. i tried many things and in the end just
installed windows xp to override the problem. that worked, however i have
lost all my files. is there some way to get them back? this has happened to a
friend and i do know there is some way to recover some files. does someone
know how please?!
thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade computer failure recover files

    Try searching for your files through My Computer C:\, but if that
    doesn't work you probably formatted yor hard drive. I don't think its
    possible to recover files that have been formatted.

    I thought the files were stored in C:\My Documents for Windows ME ?

    ProhmQueen wrote:
    > Recently the computer crashed, and i couldnt start it normally. i used
    > windows ME. after turning the computer on, it went to a blank screen
    > and gave me an option to do something. i tried many things and in the
    > end just installed windows xp to override the problem. that worked,
    > however i have lost all my files. is there some way to get them back?
    > this has happened to a friend and i do know there is some way to
    > recover some files. does someone know how please?!
    > thanks.

    Depends on what type of recovery was performed.. Destructive or
    non-destructive. If the installation of Windows XP was done including a
    "format" - then your chances of recovering your data is slim to none. If it
    was non-destructive - your data may exist on the partition as it is and all
    you need to do is take ownership of it and copy/move it around to your
    liking.

    Look in C:\Documents and Settings and see if your old profile directory is
    there.. If so, take ownership of it and all sub-folders/files. Then go
    exploring.

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/30787

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Hi,

    Check under C:\Documents and Settings in other user accounts to see if they
    are there.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Gunther wrote:
    > I thought the files were stored in C:\My Documents for Windows ME ?

    Hmm - yes, you are correct.
    In Windows ME, the "My Documents" folder is indeed at the root of the C:
    drive.

    I'm still a bit confused by the OPs message.

    At some point the "computer crashed" --> at that time Windows ME is
    mentioned as the OS.
    Then, the OP decided to install Windows XP to remedy their problem (not the
    best way to fix a crash, but..)

    What is unclear is HOW they installed Windows XP.. They mention it being an
    "upgrade" install - but it is possible they did a clean install as well.
    Only the OP can clear that one up.

    If the OP did a clean install - *poof* - everything is gone. No chance in
    recovering the files.
    If the OP managed to do a parallel/upgrade install - there is a possibility
    the "My Documents" folder is still located on their C:\ drive and they can
    access the files there.

    Good catch!

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I just went through that with Windows XP. After reloading, I reloaded all of
    the programs that I had disc for and got my files automatically came back.
    God Luck

    "ProhmQueen" wrote:

    > Recently the computer crashed, and i couldnt start it normally. i used
    > windows ME. after turning the computer on, it went to a blank screen and gave
    > me an option to do something. i tried many things and in the end just
    > installed windows xp to override the problem. that worked, however i have
    > lost all my files. is there some way to get them back? this has happened to a
    > friend and i do know there is some way to recover some files. does someone
    > know how please?!
    > thanks.

    Greetings,

    Active@ Undelete software is DOS compatible, so you can use it to
    recover valuable files. It posses really great recover methods, so it
    is your best chance to restore
    http://www.active-undelete.com

Windows Me Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP