Removing Windows Messenger

Hi all

I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded. But
today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I can't
get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my hair
out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and that
I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!

IceQueen
11 answers Last reply
More about removing windows messenger

    IceQueen wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
    > how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded. But
    > today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
    > annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I can't
    > get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my hair
    > out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
    > about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and that
    > I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
    > 'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!
    >
    > IceQueen

    Modify C:\Windows\Inf\Sysoc.inf to remove the word "Hide" from
    the pertinent Windows Components entries. Be sure to leave the two
    surrounding commas in place. (Iow, change the line
    "AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,hide,7" to read
    "AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7"), and then go to Control
    Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components. Windows
    Messenger will now appear among the list of Windows components that can
    be removed.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    IceQueen wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
    > how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded. But
    > today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
    > annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I can't
    > get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my hair
    > out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
    > about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and that
    > I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
    > 'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!
    >
    > IceQueen

    I did it like this:-

    Go to Start/Run and type this in.

    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Also edit the registry as below:-

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

    Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the
    name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

    Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

    If you prefer to remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and
    enter the following command:

    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Note: This will cause a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have
    the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter
    REGEDIT Go to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

    Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name
    Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "IceQueen" <IceQueen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
    > how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded.
    > But
    > today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
    > annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I
    > can't
    > get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my
    > hair
    > out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
    > about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and
    > that
    > I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
    > 'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!
    >
    > IceQueen

    Open Internet Explorer and choose "Tools", then choose "Internet Options".
    In the pop up window, click the "Programs" tab, then click the "Manage
    Add-ons" button.
    In the new window, make sure the "Show" drop down menu has "Add-ons
    currently loaded in Internet Explorer" selected.
    Then select the "Windows Messenger" entry and at the bottom of the page
    select the "Disable" radio.
    Click "OK"
    Click "OK"

    Windows Messenger is now disabled and will not load, and you can easily
    re-enable it, if desired.

    "IceQueen" <IceQueen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
    > how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded.
    > But
    > today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
    > annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I
    > can't
    > get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my
    > hair
    > out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
    > about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and
    > that
    > I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
    > 'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!
    >
    > IceQueen

    Taylor,

    I'm sorry to say that this method disables Messenger button in IE Toolbar,
    and does NOT prevent the program from running.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "S. Taylor" <ravenshaATstis.net> wrote in message
    > Open Internet Explorer and choose "Tools", then choose "Internet Options".
    > In the pop up window, click the "Programs" tab, then click the "Manage
    > Add-ons" button.
    > In the new window, make sure the "Show" drop down menu has "Add-ons
    > currently loaded in Internet Explorer" selected.
    > Then select the "Windows Messenger" entry and at the bottom of the page
    > select the "Disable" radio.
    > Click "OK"
    > Click "OK"
    >
    > Windows Messenger is now disabled and will not load, and you can easily
    > re-enable it, if desired.
    >

    > "IceQueen" <IceQueen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
    >> how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded. But
    >> today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
    >> annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I
    >> can't
    >> get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my
    >> hair
    >> out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
    >> about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and
    >> that
    >> I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
    >> 'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!
    >>
    >> IceQueen

    This only works if the messenger is the original shipped with windows. As the orginal will refuse to run and insist on updating the option won't appear in Window Components.

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message news:O176TYxtFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > IceQueen wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
    >> how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded. But
    >> today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
    >> annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I can't
    >> get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my hair
    >> out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
    >> about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and that
    >> I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
    >> 'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!
    >>
    >> IceQueen
    >

    > Modify C:\Windows\Inf\Sysoc.inf to remove the word "Hide" from
    > the pertinent Windows Components entries. Be sure to leave the two
    > surrounding commas in place. (Iow, change the line
    > "AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,hide,7" to read
    > "AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7"), and then go to Control
    > Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components. Windows
    > Messenger will now appear among the list of Windows components that can
    > be removed.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    You're right, you also have to tell messenger not to start at boot up.
    I still haven't figure out how to stop OE from loading it.

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:48:01 -0700, IceQueen wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I managed some time ago to get rid of Windows Messenger. I can't remember
    > how I did it but it was a moment of triumph when I finally succeeded. But
    > today I have just installed SP2 after a major PC crash. To my intense
    > annoyance, Windows Messenger is back on my taskbar. Whatever I try, I can't
    > get rid of it. Can someone please please help me before I tear all my hair
    > out. If I right click and click on Exit, it refuses to go with a message
    > about other applications being open which are connected to Messenger and that
    > I must close those applications first. If I do this and then reopen
    > 'Outlook' or IE, it reappears!!!
    >
    > IceQueen

    Go to:

    find.pcworld.com/49002
    --
    r.s.nevin@att.net

    For OE, you could try the "Hide Messenger" part in my previous post.

    --

    > You're right, you also have to tell messenger not to start at boot up.
    > I still haven't figure out how to stop OE from loading it.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Taylor,
    >>
    >> I'm sorry to say that this method disables Messenger button in IE
    >> Toolbar, and does NOT prevent the program from running.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    Thank you, that worked.
    i normally just dont like playing with the registry
    and since OE is supposed to use IE's settings, it shouldn't be neccessary

    > For OE, you could try the "Hide Messenger" part in my previous post.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "S. Taylor" <ravenshaATstis.net> wrote in message
    >> You're right, you also have to tell messenger not to start at boot up.
    >> I still haven't figure out how to stop OE from loading it.
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Taylor,
    >>>
    >>> I'm sorry to say that this method disables Messenger button in IE
    >>> Toolbar, and does NOT prevent the program from running.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    You're welcome.

    >> i normally just dont like playing with the registry

    I'd love playing with the registry, from year 1997 onwards ;-)

    --

    > Thank you, that worked.
    > i normally just dont like playing with the registry
    > and since OE is supposed to use IE's settings, it shouldn't be neccessary
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> For OE, you could try the "Hide Messenger" part in my previous post.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "S. Taylor" <ravenshaATstis.net> wrote in message
    >>> You're right, you also have to tell messenger not to start at boot up.
    >>> I still haven't figure out how to stop OE from loading it.
    >>>
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP