I can't listen to Xmms

bruno

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
My computer used to stop responding while installing/using Linux mandrake 8/9.2, WIndows XP as well. So I replaced a heatsink and a fan (I have celeron 500 and i installed cooller for pentium III). Now computer works good, but when i start listening to mp3 files, it stops resopnding and I have to press reset. What do you think - is it CPU that causes the problem, wrong cooling system or sth else?

BRUNO

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I'd look at running a few tests on it. If it's MP3 only, then I doubt it's the CPU overheating. A Celery 500 should have heaps of grunt for that job, so I'd suspect something else... Run memtest86, and see if it locks up or finds anything. See if only locks when X is running, or if you can make it lock playing MP3 from the shell. Try to narrow it down a bit.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

bruno

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I've run memtest86 v3.0 (standard test) and my RAM passed it with no errors. Comp locked playing MP3 form the shell (without running X). But if I don't listen to XMMS - Mandreke works very good at all times and doesn't lock. I don't know what to do now. :(

BRUNO

bruno

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I borrow the sound card - ISA card - then I installed it, but it doesnt work, and system (Mandreke 9.2) doesnt see it. Why? How to run it?

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
ISA stuff can be difficult... Is it a plug'n'play compatable Sound Blaster? If not, I could not even guess what's going wrong. Run alsaconf as root, and see if that can find it.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

bruno

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Now I know, that my sound card is working properly, because I borrowed a new one and comp also crashed :( So now I don't what to do. I suppose that it is not sortware problem - must be hardwere, but what device??

Bruno

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
You said it also crashes under Windows, so it's unlikely to be a software problem. Assuming you're not overclocked or anything, all I could suggest is trying to find a hardware test or burn-in utility. Also, strip out all of cards and see if you can narrow it down, and check for any BIOS updates as well. Sorry I can't be more help...

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

iccaros

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
check for IRQ conflics, take out every card except video and sound and replace one by one. I had the same problem it turned out that I had staticed the motherboard during install and any thing pluged into that slot would crash the system. also turn off plug and play os in the BIOS and force it to give all cards there own irqs this is also a major problem.

Willaim S. Huskey
Network Engineer
SAIC
"there are 10 types of people in this world. They who understand binary and they how do not"