Indeo Codecs

Is there a site where I can download some free Indeo codecs for my web cam?
I guess Microsoft no longer uses these codecs as part of it's OS and now, I
can't use the video part of my web cam because of this.
Maybe it doesn't have to be Indeo codecs to make it work, I don't know.
It's a Logitec QuickCam 6.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about indeo codecs

    "switch" <switch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a site where I can download some free Indeo codecs for my web
    > cam?
    > I guess Microsoft no longer uses these codecs as part of it's OS and now,
    > can't use the video part of my web cam because of this.
    > Maybe it doesn't have to be Indeo codecs to make it work, I don't know.
    > It's a Logitec QuickCam 6.
    >
    > Thanks

    Have you tried Google?

    Bobby

    "switch" <switch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a site where I can download some free Indeo codecs for my web
    > cam?
    > I guess Microsoft no longer uses these codecs as part of it's OS and
    > now, I
    > can't use the video part of my web cam because of this.
    > Maybe it doesn't have to be Indeo codecs to make it work, I don't
    > know.
    > It's a Logitec QuickCam 6.
    >
    > Thanks

    Ligos bought the Indeo codecs from Intel; see
    http://www.ligos.com/indeo.htm. They also provided them free ... for
    awhile until they later wrote an XP-supported codec themself for which
    they charged. They then wrapped *their* new codec into the old Indeo
    suite and then charged for the whole suite. So the Indeo codecs that
    used to be distributed for free which Ligos bought and provided free for
    awhile are no longer free, and you cannot get the previously-free
    portion of the codec. The old 5.11 codecs ran just fine under Windows
    XP but Ligos wanted to charge for them so they created version 5.2,
    claimed they now supported Windows XP (and hoping users don't know that
    they already supported NT-based version of Windows), and charge $14.95
    for them.

    Someone may still offer the old codec suite that was free. Since Intel
    doesn't include the license document during installation or afterward
    for the user to review, I have no idea of downloads of the old freebie
    suite are legal.

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Indeo_Codec.htm

    The Indeo codecs, I believe, were not distributed with Windows. You
    were expected to get them with the install of a program that required
    them. So if you web cam requires the Indeo codecs then your web cam
    software should've included the those codecs. Go to the manufacturer's
    web site for your camera and download their software. I didn't see
    "QuickCam 6" listed at Logitech for support articles or downloads. You
    sure that is what the *device* is named? You sure that isn't the name
    for the *software* (and version)?

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:59:06 -0500, "Vanguard"
    <vanguard.code@comcastNIX.net> wrote:

    >Someone may still offer the old codec suite that was free. Since Intel
    >doesn't include the license document during installation or afterward
    >for the user to review, I have no idea of downloads of the old freebie
    >suite are legal.
    >
    >http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Indeo_Codec.htm

    The previous version of software if it was free before, is still free
    today. They can charge for the newer version but they can not charge
    for the free version

    Greg Ro

Codec Microsoft Windows XP