Sign in with
Your question

Problem with a 8500

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2002 9:29:17 AM

A couple days ago I bought a cheap radeon 8500 card. Although the chip is a R200, the clock is set to 250mhz, as are the 4ns Samsung memory chips.
After reformating and resintalling Win XP, I installed the latest drivers provided by ATi. So far, so good.

Then I started 3dMark2001, and after a couple of seconds of extreme texture clashing, the system crashed. Rebooted and reinstalled 3dMark2001 - with no change in the results. Tried a game (MOH:AA), and although it didn't crash it definitely had many texture problems.

After using powerstrip to lower the core/mem frequency to 210 - to my surprise it ran 3dMark2001 without a glitch (but with a not too brilliant score, I'm afraid).

Then I updated the drivers to the leaked 6052. Running at stock speed (250/250), 3dMark2001 started with none of the texture problems that plagued the "official" drivers. Nonetheless it crashes at the start of the second test. After lowering the frequency to 240/240 the system is rock solid. Upping either frequencies above 245 causes a crash.

Probable causes:
-Drivers - but shouldn't it also crash at the lower frequencies?
-Power (or lack of) from my 300W PSU - but are there any significant differences in power consumption from 240 to 250?
-Heat (system) - my system is running a bit "warm" - but the crashes happen even when running it the first time.
-the Videocard hardware quality (the cooler system seemed to be inferior to my old TNT2 - there is space between the cooler and the chip).

Opinions, please ;) ...

The system:
Athlon XP 1700+ (1466)
Asus A7V266-E RAID (KT266A)
2x60GXPs (in RAID 0 setup)
512 MB PC2100 CAS 2 (2x256)
CDRW, DVD, SB Audigy, NIC,...

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

More about : problem 8500

March 24, 2002 11:11:38 AM

Quote:

Probable causes:
-Drivers - but shouldn't it also crash at the lower frequencies?
-Power (or lack of) from my 300W PSU - but are there any significant differences in power consumption from 240 to 250?
-Heat (system) - my system is running a bit "warm" - but the crashes happen even when running it the first time.
-the Videocard hardware quality (the cooler system seemed to be inferior to my old TNT2 - there is space between the cooler and the chip).

1.) Definitely not drivers.
2.) Yes, possibly power.
3.) Not heat, the R8500 runs very cool
4.) Not the cooler, the R8500 runs cool so it doesn't need a high-performance cooler.

You either need a more powerful power supply, or the graphics card itself is faulty in which case you can exchange it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 24, 2002 2:46:59 PM

Thanks for your input. Now I'm running a little experiment - disconnected the 4 fans blowing in my system (besides the CPU cooler ;) ) - 2 case fans and 2 HD fans.

Running 3dMark2001.... nope. It crashed in the exact same spot... probably defective HW, maybe I didn't cut enough power drain. I'll try downclocking the system.

BTW which are the most stable Radeon drivers?

What I'm puzzled about is the official drivers that worked at much lower frequencies...

Related resources
March 24, 2002 6:21:11 PM

I've almost rulled out the lack of power as a cause. Simply because even after I disconnected all but the CPU (and GPU) fan, downclocked the CPU by 33%, it still crashes at default frequency. A meager 10mhz extra core/mem can't consume that much extra power... specially if it runs cool.

I'll try playing around with the drivers, but it seems to be a case of simply a bad card. BTW it is a Joytech OEM POS (at least according to powerstrip).

March 24, 2002 6:23:56 PM

Try to disconnect all the drives except the floppy and hard drive.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 24, 2002 11:25:32 PM

I did disconnect everything possible except the 2 HDDs (including the floppy). But even then, with an underclocked CPU it didn't make any difference. IMO it simply can't be a power issue (except if it was an AGP power issue).
Also played around with two other driver versions, but I found the 6052 the best by far.

I'm now running with a slightly overclocked system (137/1507Mhz) and, if I keep the R200 settings at 240/240, it is stable (it did a 10x loop 3dMark2001, a 25 minute cpu torture test and a couple hours playing MOH:AA without a single crash or any other issue). 3dMark2001SE score: 7422. A "bit" :wink: better than my previous 1700 with the TnT2.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

March 25, 2002 12:13:41 AM

Hmm, what are you getting from the rails?

March 25, 2002 7:11:36 AM

its definitely the heat. you know that because you have to underclock it to get it to run right. To check, just pull off the fan and heatsink, and check the thermal paste. most likely, there's only a tiny bit, and it only covers like half the chip. all you have to do is buy some thermal paste, put a drop on and smear it around. then just screw the fan and heatsink back on.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2002 2:17:32 PM

It is possible that the problem lies with your mainboard and how it provides power to the AGP slot (independent of system PS). Doesn't sound like heat or drivers.

I had a similar problem with my GF2 TI and Abit BH6. The AGP slot was just underpowered. The GF2 ran like a champ when I upgraded to an EPoX mainboard.

<i>..from the comfort of my aunt Faye's Couch..</i>
March 25, 2002 2:47:40 PM

Also, check to see if you have AGP fast writes on. That tends to cause problems with the 8500. I was unable to finish 3Dmark2001 with them on.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...
March 25, 2002 4:58:15 PM

Yea, I was aware of that. But I haven't ever heard of problems with the AGP power supply of the Asus A7V266-E (I *think* it qualifies for AGP Pro operation - not sure).

March 25, 2002 7:42:57 PM

It could be heat - the card has a lousy cooling system - there is air between the GPU and the heatsink/fan.
But if it was heat it shouldn't crash after a single minute of operation at a certain frequency and stand hours without any problem a couple of Mhz lower. And it still doesn't explain why the memory also needs to be underclocked.

My take is that is simply a case of a bad card. BTW I'm going to have it replaced (I'll even try for a trade up).

March 25, 2002 7:47:51 PM

Rails?

March 25, 2002 8:25:56 PM

The 3V rail, the 5V rail and the 12V rail.

March 26, 2002 9:45:13 PM

Oh, those rails :redface:
Well, according to my not so trustworthy PCProbe software I've got 12.7V in the 12V, 4.9 in the 5V and 3.2V in the 3V (isn't it 3.3V?).

According to the BIOS, the values are 12.6V, 4.9V and 3.3V.

March 26, 2002 9:53:08 PM

yeah, it's 3.3V, sorry. 3.2V is too low. Even 4.9V is a bit low. What motherboard do you have?

March 27, 2002 11:48:44 AM

It's an Asus A7V266-E (with RAID). The voltages are about 3.24 and 4.92. Interesting is the difference between what the BIOS shows and the Asus software...

!