Mac

Have an XP Home PC that may have a virus... won't boot, giving an error
message I've never seen before. It's NTFS partitioned rather than FAT so
can't run MCAfee in "DOS" mode for XP. Not aware of any others that might
work either. Anyone have any ideas? PC was fine when I left; black screen
and error message when I returned.

TIA, Mac

Hi

What is the error message? Can you get into Safe Mode to try a virus scan
from there?

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have an XP Home PC that may have a virus... won't boot, giving an error
> message I've never seen before. It's NTFS partitioned rather than FAT so
> can't run MCAfee in "DOS" mode for XP. Not aware of any others that might
> work either. Anyone have any ideas? PC was fine when I left; black
> screen
> and error message when I returned.
>
> TIA, Mac

Mac

Finally... not an error message: Windows cannot load.... Reload missing or
corrupt file, "windows root\system32\hal.dll" However, does not ask for
installation CD or anything else, just sits on this screen and stares at you.

Had logged out of an interactive game that ties into many servers. PC had
hung and had to end the program before it would release. Left the PC it on
the desktop, appeared to be fine. Came back to blank screen with this
message. Cannot boot into safe mode of any type. Don't know of any way to
bypass this OS to get to a command prompt the way you could w/prior versions
of Windows. Can get into setup and the PC can still see the HD. Still
thinking this could be a virus, but can't get to a screen where I can do
anything.

Worst thing is - installation CD and software key are missing. And it was
purchased from an OEM retailer.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> What is the error message? Can you get into Safe Mode to try a virus scan
> from there?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have an XP Home PC that may have a virus... won't boot, giving an error
> > message I've never seen before. It's NTFS partitioned rather than FAT so
> > can't run MCAfee in "DOS" mode for XP. Not aware of any others that might
> > work either. Anyone have any ideas? PC was fine when I left; black
> > screen
> > and error message when I returned.
> >
> > TIA, Mac

Mac <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Finally... not an error message: Windows cannot load.... Reload missing or
>corrupt file, "windows root\system32\hal.dll" However, does not ask for
>installation CD or anything else, just sits on this screen and stares at you.
>
>Had logged out of an interactive game that ties into many servers. PC had
>hung and had to end the program before it would release. Left the PC it on
>the desktop, appeared to be fine. Came back to blank screen with this
>message. Cannot boot into safe mode of any type. Don't know of any way to
>bypass this OS to get to a command prompt the way you could w/prior versions
>of Windows. Can get into setup and the PC can still see the HD. Still
>thinking this could be a virus, but can't get to a screen where I can do
>anything.
>
>Worst thing is - installation CD and software key are missing. And it was
>purchased from an OEM retailer.
>
>"Will Denny" wrote:

One possible cause of your error message is a damaged or missing
boot.ini file.

That can be fixed fairly simply by booting to the Windows XP Recovery
Console and entering the following command:

BOOTCFG /REBUILD

If you do not have the original Windows XP Installation CD to boot
from then you can download a set of diskette images and create a 6
diskette boot set from http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994

This will not fix all instances of your error message, but it is one
of the more common causes of it and it is relatively simple to use.

If the problem persists then we will have to explore other methods of
fixing the problem.

p.s. you really need to find that Windows XP OEM install CD. The
Product Key can be retrieved from your computer once it has been fixed
and you can boot into Windows XP again.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--