DOS program "Error 2009 : Not enough space for environment"

I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the autoexec.nt into
the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos exe, I get the above error
message. Can anyone shed some light on what it means?

Thank you
Gary
6 answers Last reply
More about program error 2009 space environment

    Gary,
    Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.

    Does it have entries like these:

    dos=high, umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    files=100

    Make it has the line dos=high
    and bump up the files=

    What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Gary Y wrote:
    > I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the
    > autoexec.nt into the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos
    > exe, I get the above error message. Can anyone shed some light on
    > what it means?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Gary

    Maurice

    Here is the content of config.nt

    dos=high, umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    files=40

    and autoexec.nt

    @ECHO OFF
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

    The dos exe program is on an old Novell server. My desktop is running XP
    professional.

    Gary

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Gary,
    > Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.
    >
    > Does it have entries like these:
    >
    > dos=high, umb
    > device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    > files=100
    >

    > Make it has the line dos=high
    > and bump up the files=
    >
    > What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >

    > Gary Y wrote:
    > > I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the
    > > autoexec.nt into the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos
    > > exe, I get the above error message. Can anyone shed some light on
    > > what it means?
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > > Gary

    No, you can't run Novell server. Last time I looked (some 10+ years ago), Novell server software ran on a dedicated machine.
    I suppose if you have Virtual PC software, you might run it in a virtual DOS.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Gary Y wrote:
    > Maurice
    >
    > Here is the content of config.nt
    >
    > dos=high, umb
    > device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    > files=40
    >
    > and autoexec.nt
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    >
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
    >
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
    >
    > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
    >
    > The dos exe program is on an old Novell server. My desktop is
    > running XP professional.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Gary,
    >> Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.
    >>
    >> Does it have entries like these:
    >>
    >> dos=high, umb
    >> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    >> files=100
    >>

    >> Make it has the line dos=high
    >> and bump up the files=
    >>
    >> What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Maurice N
    >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
    >> -----
    >>

    >> Gary Y wrote:
    >>> I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the
    >>> autoexec.nt into the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos
    >>> exe, I get the above error message. Can anyone shed some light on
    >>> what it means?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>> Gary

    I can run the same dos program over the network using Win98 OS on my desktop.
    The Novell server is a legacy system which runs a database; we need to get
    data from the old system every now and then. It works if I use VNC to connect
    to another desktop with Win98 OS and running the DOS program on that pc.
    However it is rather slow.

    Thanks
    Gary

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > No, you can't run Novell server. Last time I looked (some 10+ years ago), Novell server software ran on a dedicated machine.
    > I suppose if you have Virtual PC software, you might run it in a virtual DOS.
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >
    > Gary Y wrote:
    > > Maurice
    > >
    > > Here is the content of config.nt
    > >
    > > dos=high, umb
    > > device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    > > files=40
    > >
    > > and autoexec.nt
    > >
    > > @ECHO OFF
    > > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    > >
    > > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
    > >
    > > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
    > >
    > > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
    > >
    > > The dos exe program is on an old Novell server. My desktop is
    > > running XP professional.
    > >
    > > Gary
    > >
    > > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Gary,
    > >> Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.
    > >>
    > >> Does it have entries like these:
    > >>
    > >> dos=high, umb
    > >> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    > >> files=100
    > >>

    > >> Make it has the line dos=high
    > >> and bump up the files=
    > >>
    > >> What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Maurice N
    > >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > >> -----

    Gary,

    Post a summary of your needs & situation to the group
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Gary Y wrote:
    > I can run the same dos program over the network using Win98 OS on my
    > desktop. The Novell server is a legacy system which runs a database;
    > we need to get data from the old system every now and then. It works
    > if I use VNC to connect to another desktop with Win98 OS and running
    > the DOS program on that pc. However it is rather slow.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gary

    P.S. This short link is to a Google archive post on a similar problem.
    http://tinyurl.com/beat6
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User