Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Dialup
  • Directx
  • Windows XP
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 25, 2002 2:44:14 PM

This problem cropped up a few days ago. I can use Windows XP's Dialup networking fine. Anything that uses Direct X works fine. However, once I have used Direct X, if a Dialup connection is active, the computer starts acting strangely, and much of the CPU resorces are used (though windows XP doesn't report any task specifily using it, with simply the dialup loaded, the CPU load is at about 85%). This causes the mouse move in a jerky motion, and wreaks havoc with everything else.

Any idea what the problem is?

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

More about : direct dialup

March 25, 2002 3:15:00 PM

hey Bront, i recently had this problem real bad with Windows XP where just being connected on a dialup caused 60+ % cpu load... At first i was at 97%, so i disabled the nic card, that took it down to 60% with dialup on... With just the nic it was at like 2% so that didnt make alot of sense... Turns out, it was the modem drivers, i was using a Zoom external USB v.92 (supposedly this is a full board modem) modem with zoom beta drivers. I went out and bought a brand new USR/3com v.92 full board which said right on the box that it supports windows xp. Dialup only uses about 4-6% of the processor power now even with the nic card running and of course, online gaming is smooth once again-) Hope that helps ya figure out yer problem....just simple modem drivers for me.
March 25, 2002 3:52:06 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Interesting how it was working when I first installed XP though, and it only started reciently. Maybe the Modem Driver just got screwed up.

It only happens when I've run DirectX though. If I haven't run DirectX yet, it runs perfectly fine.

Also, on a side note, anyone know how I can force my NIC to not take the same IRQ as my Video Card? There are free IRQs available, but it never seems to want to take anything other than the one the Video Card is on (11, or 5 if I've made 11 unavailable). Windows won't let me adjust it manualy for either card either. (XP or 98)

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 25, 2002 4:58:24 PM

I've also had this problem of windows not letting me change irqs...though my nic and graphics have never been on the same one. One thing to check is in your BIOS, make sure its not set to auto assign irqs. You should be able to establish your irq's for each pci slot in your BIOS.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 03/25/02 01:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 25, 2002 7:43:17 PM

My Bios won't let me turn over IRQ assigning to the OS unfortunately. Anyone know where Gigabyte hides that feature?

March 25, 2002 9:25:47 PM

Actually i wasnt thinking of turning it over to the OS but rather hard setting the IRQ in the bios so that the OS didnt have a choice in the matter.... If you can set the IRQ for each slot in BIOS then XP should just pick up the irq from there and run with it. Unfortunately i have no experience with gigabyte boards. Using my Asus p4t i do have those options under pci configuration.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII
March 26, 2002 4:51:00 PM

First of all, it turns out my Bios doesn't have an option to turn PNP over to the OS, or to the MB. I think the MB is doing it right now.

Second of all, after a microsoft updated driver for my netcard caused problems, I had to roll back the driver and install the most up to date 3Com one. Trying to reinstall my modem hasn't helped much either. My guess is, that part of the problem is that I Upgraded from Win2K. I'm going to do a complete system reinstall this weekend (Not looking forward to this) unless anyone else has any ideas about what the problem might be.

Microsoft's website has no support on the issue.

March 26, 2002 7:08:26 PM

If your modem problems only started when you upgraded from 2k to xp its i'm gonna guess its the modem drivers after all. That modem i have that i talked about earlier works great in all other versions of windows and only uses about 2% of the processor power, its only in windows xp that it takes a huge chunk of resources. Windows XP must handle things significantly different from older versions..

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII
March 26, 2002 8:05:58 PM

It was working fine actualy for a while in XP. Also, internet connection sharing is having a problem as well, as it will only share the data from a single request for a short period of time, so a telnet will go blank after a bit. It still recieves things from the other computer, the server just doesn't send things out.

Could be all sorts of issues. I'm just going to reformat and do a fresh install.