Can I use an All-in-One printer via network ?

I have a Dell A940 All-in-One that is currently connected to my PC via USB.
But I want to use it from 3 or 4 PCs rather than just the one.

I've been thinking of buying an Ethernet-to-USB print server so I can put
it on my network. But will this work ?

Problem I forsee is - when I scan something, how would it know WHICH
computer to send the image to ? Has Anybody else out there tried this ?

I'd even upgrade to a newer all-in-one, like a 962, if necessary. But I
haven't seen anything on the sales documents that address this.

- FM -

David

Most ads I've seen for print servers state that the only thing
they will work for (with all in one printers) if networked is printing
(not scanning etc).
You can already do that with out the print server with windows
sharing. You would need a network ready printer that is designed
to do this from the get go. Best wishes,
Dave

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in news:1121106580.700625.311100
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Most ads I've seen for print servers state that the only thing
> they will work for (with all in one printers) if networked is printing
> (not scanning etc).
> You can already do that with out the print server with windows
> sharing. You would need a network ready printer that is designed
> to do this from the get go. Best wishes,
> Dave

Thanks for replying Dave.

Yes, I'm aware of windows sharing; However it means leaving the PC
designated as the "Print Server" on all the time, or at least on when any
other PC is on that would access the AIO. It is this that I was hoping to
avoid.

- FM -

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in news:1121106580.700625.311100
> @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Most ads I've seen for print servers state that the only thing
>> they will work for (with all in one printers) if networked is printing
>> (not scanning etc).
>> You can already do that with out the print server with windows
>> sharing. You would need a network ready printer that is designed
>> to do this from the get go. Best wishes,
>> Dave
>>

> Thanks for replying Dave.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of windows sharing; However it means leaving the PC
> designated as the "Print Server" on all the time, or at least on when any
> other PC is on that would access the AIO. It is this that I was hoping to
> avoid.
>
> - FM -

It doesn't solve the problem with your Dell, but I just bought a Brother
all-in one, model MFC420CN. It's small and includes fax, copy, scan and
print. It's got a sheet feeder, which I like and you can lift it up to do a
book or one page.

The reason I picked this one is that it also has an Ethernet port and
connects directly to the Lan. It supports all the functions, including
outgoing fax printer, scanning and printing on the network. You just bring
up the scanning software on your PC and run it and it grabs the scanner.
You can also designate which machine is the 'default' so if you press Scan
on the scanner, it wakes up that machine.

It also has a CF and SD card reader that are LAN accessible too.

$129 at OfficeMax.

Tom

ME

>It doesn't solve the problem with your Dell, but I just bought a Brother
>all-in one, model MFC420CN.

Is this unit an ink jet?

If yes do they have a laser model all in one with same
capability as far as network?

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >It doesn't solve the problem with your Dell, but I just bought a Brother
>>all-in one, model MFC420CN.
>
> Is this unit an ink jet?
>
> If yes do they have a laser model all in one with same
> capability as far as network?

Yes, mine is an inkjet. In looking at their website, they do have
networkable models. For example, the MFC8720N. $299 with rebate right now.

Tom