Help with Linksys wireless G access point setup

I sort of goofed this, but I bought a Linksys wireless access point
(WAP54G) from Ebay thinking it was also a cable router.

So how do I hook this up? Or do I sell again to get a router?

I currently have an SMC wired router to the cable modem, and I simply
plug in my devices to the SMC.

I wanted to replace that with the Linksys, but its just an access point,
so I tried plugging that into the router, but I can't get the initial
setup wizard to see the access point.

I tried hooking up my laptop and the access point to a simple hub, but
when I ran the setup utility I still could not see it.

Please help!

Thanks.

>I sort of goofed this, but I bought a Linksys wireless access point
>(WAP54G) from Ebay thinking it was also a cable router.
>
>So how do I hook this up? Or do I sell again to get a router?
>
>I currently have an SMC wired router to the cable modem, and I simply
>plug in my devices to the SMC.
>
>I wanted to replace that with the Linksys, but its just an access point,
>so I tried plugging that into the router, but I can't get the initial
>setup wizard to see the access point.
>
>I tried hooking up my laptop and the access point to a simple hub, but
>when I ran the setup utility I still could not see it.
>
>Please help!
>
>Thanks.

You need it on the same hub or switch as your PC and you enter the
address in your browser to connect. This is for the setup only. They
assume it is your WAP since your hard wired to it. And not driving
past someones house and setting up theirs.

Setup tips:
http://tinyurl.com/2gvus

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:31:02 GMT, No One spoketh

>I sort of goofed this, but I bought a Linksys wireless access point
>(WAP54G) from Ebay thinking it was also a cable router.
>
>So how do I hook this up? Or do I sell again to get a router?
>
>I currently have an SMC wired router to the cable modem, and I simply
>plug in my devices to the SMC.
>
>I wanted to replace that with the Linksys, but its just an access point,
>so I tried plugging that into the router, but I can't get the initial
>setup wizard to see the access point.
>
>I tried hooking up my laptop and the access point to a simple hub, but
>when I ran the setup utility I still could not see it.
>
>Please help!
>
>Thanks.

You may have to do a reset on the device to bring the settings back to
the factory defaults. Unless the former owner told you what the IP
address of the device is, you may have a hard time connecting to it.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Thanks for the help, I managed to reset the device and get into the
configuration. I guess my real question is how I set this up network-wise.

I have my cable modem, going into an SMC router.

Do I hang the access point off the router, and then just connect my
laptop via wireless to the access point?

If my router is 192.168.2.1 internally, what do I put as the default
gateway on the access point and my laptop?

thanks

Lars M. Hansen wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:31:02 GMT, No One spoketh
>

>>I sort of goofed this, but I bought a Linksys wireless access point
>>(WAP54G) from Ebay thinking it was also a cable router.
>>
>>So how do I hook this up? Or do I sell again to get a router?
>>
>>I currently have an SMC wired router to the cable modem, and I simply
>>plug in my devices to the SMC.
>>
>>I wanted to replace that with the Linksys, but its just an access point,
>>so I tried plugging that into the router, but I can't get the initial
>>setup wizard to see the access point.
>>
>>I tried hooking up my laptop and the access point to a simple hub, but
>>when I ran the setup utility I still could not see it.
>>
>>Please help!
>>
>>Thanks.
>

> You may have to do a reset on the device to bring the settings back to
> the factory defaults. Unless the former owner told you what the IP
> address of the device is, you may have a hard time connecting to it.
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:42:05 GMT, No One spoketh

>Thanks for the help, I managed to reset the device and get into the
>configuration. I guess my real question is how I set this up network-wise.
>
>I have my cable modem, going into an SMC router.
>
>Do I hang the access point off the router, and then just connect my
>laptop via wireless to the access point?
>
>If my router is 192.168.2.1 internally, what do I put as the default
>gateway on the access point and my laptop?
>
>thanks
>
>Lars M. Hansen wrote:

The default gateway should always be the IP address of the device that
is at the border of your network. In your case, the SMC router.

The Access point is just like another hub connected to your existing
network, the only difference is that it's clients are wireless, while on
a regular hub, the clients would be wired.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net