Nvidia or ATi Cards

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hi there. I'm new here and I wasn't sure if should have posted this with a thread already in use. Anyways, my question is whether I should get an ATi or Nvidia card. I was thinking of waiting for a card like R300 or a NV30, so that I could get a DX9 compliant card, but when reading this new item:

http://www.vr-zone.com/Home/news136/news136.htm#2221

I'm not so sure anymore. If these cards (which are coming out in fall?) don't have DX9, then should I not get one? Also I have a Radeon AIW right now and I think I can say for most of the ATi card owners here that ATi drivers *suck*. It would do fine in some games, (ok time to explain, I have a PIII 600, with a GF2MX and a P4 1.4, with RDRAM and a Radeon AIW) the P4 would do much worse than my PIII. I remember reading a thread about really bad ATi drivers and I was wondering if the smaller cost of ATi cards is really worth it.
I was hoping if any of you people could help me choose a card.
P.S. Tom's Hardware is the best tech site!! Thanks for the great work!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
ATI drivers aren't what they used to be. They are now constantly being improved by ATI.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
If i hear you right, your wondering what the best "bang for your buck" is to get good compatibily with your pentium hardware... Radeon 8500 or GF4 TI 4400..take yer pick...if you dont care about the price then the TI 4600 wins for now.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII