Help with XP install

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 4000 having many problems, so I thought I'd try
to install Windows XP to see if it would resolve the issues. My friend did
not want to purchase the XP operating system if it wasn't going to resolve
her problems. So...I installed a copy I had from my new laptop. The
installation was almost finished when it came up with a missing or corrupt
hal.dll error. I then installed a 14 day version I got with my Windows XP
Operating System Book. This install worked, however I now get a prompt that
asks which operating system I want to load. The first one is the newest and
works just perfect. If I select the second one, its the one with the
missing/corrupt hal.dll error.

1. Can I delete this instance from the computer?
2. How do I upgrade the 14 day license to a valid license?

Thank you for help in advance.

T.

Trisha

Your friend should look around for a good deal on XP, but not eBay or some
sites where the deal is obviously too good to be true..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Trisha" <Trisha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My friend has a Dell Inspiron 4000 having many problems, so I thought I'd
> try
> to install Windows XP to see if it would resolve the issues. My friend
> did
> not want to purchase the XP operating system if it wasn't going to resolve
> her problems. So...I installed a copy I had from my new laptop. The
> installation was almost finished when it came up with a missing or corrupt
> hal.dll error. I then installed a 14 day version I got with my Windows XP
> Operating System Book. This install worked, however I now get a prompt
> that
> asks which operating system I want to load. The first one is the newest
> and
> works just perfect. If I select the second one, its the one with the
> missing/corrupt hal.dll error.
>
> 1. Can I delete this instance from the computer?
> 2. How do I upgrade the 14 day license to a valid license?
>
> Thank you for help in advance.
>
> T.

Office and OS programs included with Microsoft training/kit books are not
"upgradeable" to legitimate status. Regarding the hal.dll error - usual
cause for this message is confusion by the system as to where the OS is
located - the result of two installations of XP or remnants of an initial
installation over which XP was re-installed.
At least verify whether there are two XP folders e.g. "Windows" and/or
"Windows2" or "Windows00A', etc.

In news:D3EF5152-D57C-4F5A-A787-5ED0CDD8D0A2@microsoft.com,
Trisha <Trisha@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
> My friend has a Dell Inspiron 4000 having many problems, so I thought
> I'd try to install Windows XP to see if it would resolve the issues.
> My friend did not want to purchase the XP operating system if it
> wasn't going to resolve her problems. So...I installed a copy I had
> from my new laptop. The installation was almost finished when it
> came up with a missing or corrupt hal.dll error. I then installed a
> 14 day version I got with my Windows XP Operating System Book. This
> install worked, however I now get a prompt that asks which operating
> system I want to load. The first one is the newest and works just
> perfect. If I select the second one, its the one with the
> missing/corrupt hal.dll error.
>
> 1. Can I delete this instance from the computer?
> 2. How do I upgrade the 14 day license to a valid license?
>
> Thank you for help in advance.
>
> T.

Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address box.
I have two installations of Windows/Windows XP on the same partition.......
#20 on the FAQ list
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP