severe problems with r8500 LE/need help.

G

i was excited about getting my 8500 yesterday (Hynix 3.6 ns ram), installed it, installed the official drivers for win 98 (4.13.9016) after dumping the old nvidia ones. fired it up and everything ran fine...for a little while at least.

after 15 min of mohaa, and ~5 min rtcw i decided to run nfs5. 4 minutes in the whole screen went to [-peep-] - i had bright green, red, blue pixels all over, colors were distorted, could se the outlines of the polygons. i quit, widows looked the same.... restarted, the windoze screen had black streaks through it, couldnt read anything in the BIOS, so the problem persisted through a reboot (i was a little pised) - so it seemed like a hardware problem. shut the sucker down, wigled the card around, started back up again - it was clean.
however when i ran any other game from that point on it did the same thing. i could fix it temporarily only by shutting down. i underclocked the card from 275/275 to 250/250 - didnt help a bit. ill install different drivers (pobably wont help). and see what else i can do.

2nd day, so im just begining to try to figure this out. does this indeed seem like a hardware problem? any BIOS settings i need to try? etc etc
anybody have any advise?

has anyone had this happen?
i would be very greatfull if anyone could offer some advice/help

edit: left out the system specs.

1.4 tbird with a an aluminum vantec + 7K fan
biostar m7vib kt266
256 mb ddr (samsung? forget, sorry)
shitty old 15 in monitor
ac 97 integrated sound
400 watt generic PSU

win 98 (4.00.10.2222 might be wrong)
cpu temps rose since i installed the card, now are:
idle low 40 full load creep near low 50

one thing to mention, my 7K 60mm fan plugs into the mobo (bad idea, but i have no 3-4 pin adapters or whatever you call them).

thanks again in advance

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Try another monitor.
I get the same problem on my second monitor (I use dual display),my #1 monitor is a recent one (Philips 109P) but my #2 is an old TTX 14' and can't handle more than 800x600 @ 60Hzh

The description you gave looks exacly the same as the things I get when usnig the second monitior for more than just desktop or web surfing.

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek: