IE6 (XP SP2) hangs all apps (100% CPU) on each page load

At first I thought it was just eBay being busy but I opened Task
Manager and watched iexplore.exe jump up into the high 90s each time I
wanted to eother reload a page or surf somewhere else. I run AdAware
and Spybot at least weekly, and have disabled most of the Add-Ons in
IE. This has been going on a long time and is of course negating the
whole DSL thing, it is taking some pages up to a minute to load,
during which time I get the white-rectangle "not responding" icon and
anything else I may be doing on the computer hangs as well while IE
eats up the CPU, then it drops back suddenly. Anything else I should
be looking for? Any help appreciated.

>At first I thought it was just eBay being busy but I opened Task
>Manager and watched iexplore.exe jump up into the high 90s each time I
>wanted to eother reload a page or surf somewhere else. I run AdAware
>and Spybot at least weekly, and have disabled most of the Add-Ons in
>IE. This has been going on a long time and is of course negating the
>whole DSL thing, it is taking some pages up to a minute to load,
>during which time I get the white-rectangle "not responding" icon and
>anything else I may be doing on the computer hangs as well while IE
>eats up the CPU, then it drops back suddenly. Anything else I should
>be looking for? Any help appreciated.

>At first I thought it was just eBay being busy but I opened Task
>Manager and watched iexplore.exe jump up into the high 90s each time I
>wanted to eother reload a page or surf somewhere else. I run AdAware
>and Spybot at least weekly, and have disabled most of the Add-Ons in
>IE. This has been going on a long time and is of course negating the
>whole DSL thing, it is taking some pages up to a minute to load,
>during which time I get the white-rectangle "not responding" icon and
>anything else I may be doing on the computer hangs as well while IE
>eats up the CPU, then it drops back suddenly. Anything else I should
>be looking for? Any help appreciated.

>At first I thought it was just eBay being busy but I opened Task
>Manager and watched iexplore.exe jump up into the high 90s each time I
>wanted to eother reload a page or surf somewhere else. I run AdAware
>and Spybot at least weekly, and have disabled most of the Add-Ons in
>IE. This has been going on a long time and is of course negating the
>whole DSL thing, it is taking some pages up to a minute to load,
>during which time I get the white-rectangle "not responding" icon and
>anything else I may be doing on the computer hangs as well while IE
>eats up the CPU, then it drops back suddenly. Anything else I should
>be looking for? Any help appreciated.

>>At first I thought it was just eBay being busy but I opened Task
>>Manager and watched iexplore.exe jump up into the high 90s each time I
>>wanted to eother reload a page or surf somewhere else. I run AdAware
>>and Spybot at least weekly, and have disabled most of the Add-Ons in
>>IE. This has been going on a long time and is of course negating the
>>whole DSL thing, it is taking some pages up to a minute to load,
>>during which time I get the white-rectangle "not responding" icon and
>>anything else I may be doing on the computer hangs as well while IE
>>eats up the CPU, then it drops back suddenly. Anything else I should
>>be looking for? Any help appreciated.

That could be an indicator that BHO's are busy doing something each time IE
loads, an new IE window open, etc.

Get and use a tool that'll let you browse your list of BHO's and installed
activex objects.
Uninstall any that you can do without or that you don't remember installing
intentionally.